My computer freezes after being on for around two hours

By Woth
May 31, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, my pc has been freezing on me for the past month after being on it for around 2 hours and after i reboot and get back on, it takes another 2 hours or so to freeze again. I have ran my virus software 3 times and every time it finds nothing but cookies. Also I ran a program named core temp a buddy recommended to me to see if my cpu was overheating i watched every 10 mins or so while on my computer and it never went any where near its Tj. Max which is 100c and it was running in the 50s. I will post my specs below and I built the pc my self around 1 year ago and it has been running good till now, besides a video card replacement.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200S
    Motherboard: Model : MB-750I-72P9
    Video card: Nvidia Geforce GTS 450
    Sound: On Board
    RAM: OCZ DDR2 2048MB x2
    Hard Drive: WDC WD50 500gb
    Disk Drive: HP DVD Writer 1260d
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

What are you doing when it freezes?
  3. skipper86

skipper86 TS Rookie Posts: 19

Well i think your PC fan is not working fine... check it... this issue normally appears when it heats up...!!
  4. Woth

Woth TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks and responses

I am usually playing a game such as Starcraft 2 or League of Legends, the freeze occurs most of the time while I am playing them. It has happen once while i was not playing SC2 but it was running in the background.

As for overheating/fan, I think this might be it but I am not sure. Mainly because I have ran a program recommended to me by a buddy named coretemp and it ran a constant 40-50c average and would spike at a high 50 or low 60s. Although that is just the cpus temp not anything else in my pc.

Thanks for the replies :)
  5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

This still sounds like a heat issue at this point because heat that rises above the threshold boundary will cause freezing. Gaming will put a significant load on your video card raising its temperature significantly.

Do the following: Find a small fan, open the side of your case and have the fan on its low setting blow into your system. Now game. Are you getting any "freezes"?
  6. Woth

Woth TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you and I feel stupid :)

I opened a small part of my case and put a medium sized fan blowing into. I did this all yesterday and didn't experience any freezing thanks again.