My computer freezes while loading my personal settings and I have to ctrl-alt-del

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer freezes while loading my personal settings and I have to ctrl-alt-del to get to my desktop. Everything else seems to be working fine.

It all started when I tried to install a graphics card that wasnt compatible. I kept getting blue screens when i started up, so i did system restore to the point before i installed it, i thought.. even got it to run chkdsk, which it found four file sections unreadable.. after it finished i looked for software pertaining to the failed graphics card installation attempt.. the software was there, i found it and got rid of it.. then i start getting the ctrl-alt-del syndrome...scanned for viruses next, found none, destroyed all the resident spyware.. then ran disk cleanup and went to bed.. when i woke up the computer had restarted and it told me i had no page file and explained how to create one. This time i didnt have to hit ctr-alt-del to get into the desktop, so i went and set the limits for my page file, and restarted like it asked and the ctr-alt-del thing is back.

do u think i didnt set my page file large enough? or is it something else?

Any help would be appreciated very much.
Paula

:(

Click on Start/Run and type in msconfig and click OK
In the Start options, check if any unknown programs are starting.
If you find one, you can disable it, then restart the PC. Keep trying until you find it. There are probably 10-15 programs starting, so it cannot be too difficult.

Look at the alphabetic index here to find out what a startup program does, and if it is good or bad.
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/windowsxp/categories/Start-Up-Applications/
Report any unknowns here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back