My computer froze while installing my new video card

I just got my new Sapphire Radeon HD6670 graphics card. Along with it I got a new power supply unit as the card required minimum 400 watts. (My computer's stock PSU was 220W) The PSU I got is a Rosewill RD 500-2SB. (500W) So I put in all of the new hardware, booted up the computer and put in the video card driver install CD. About halfway through the driver install my computer froze up. Now I can only log in under safe mode. If I try and start Windows (7) in normal mode when I get to the log-in screen I can't do anything. Frozen curser and the mouse arrow won't move. What can I do? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

It could be a software problem from the freeze up during driver installation causing your current problems however there is a good chance that your PSU contributed to the initial freeze and crash. That Rosewill RD 500-2SB is made by Solytech (aka: DEER / L&C). I would be suppressed if it was capable of outputting much more than half its rated power not to mention DEERs reputation of PSUs that blow up and take your motherboard and other components with them. If it is still in the return period send that piece of crap back to Newegg and get something better.

I'd probably get one of these:
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W = $60
Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W = $65

They may fix your problems however there is a good chance some software problems were created by the failed driver install and you may need to either do a system restore or worst case scenario reinstall windows.
edit: Also try Cinders suggestion it may work as well.

I just got my new Sapphire Radeon HD6670 graphics card. Along with it I got a new power supply unit as the card required minimum 400 watts. (My computer's stock PSU was 220W) The PSU I got is a Rosewill RD 500-2SB. (500W) So I put in all of the new hardware, booted up the computer and put in the video card driver install CD. About halfway through the driver install my computer froze up. Now I can only log in under safe mode. If I try and start Windows (7) in normal mode when I get to the log-in screen I can't do anything. Frozen curser and the mouse arrow won't move. What can I do? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Boot into safe mode, go to device manager. Find your video card and uninstall it. Boot back up and install drivers from amd.com

I don't trust the Rosewill either. I'd go for the Antec or the Seasonic, but I'd make sure that either has 35/40 amps on the 12 volt rail or whatever your video card requires first, and both PSU have 40 amps or more on the 12 volt rail.

Hmm I was afraid it might be the PSU, thanks for the input all. Before I send it back I'm going to try some of the other options of course. Thanks again!

Hello Booker. I was wondering if you found a resolution to your issue? The problems you've had are identical in nearly every way to what I am going through right now. The 6670 was working fine until I attempted to install the driver from CD. Then froze up half way through install. Then froze up every time on login. Then only starts in safe mode. Then nothing I try will fix it. Sound familiar? Let me know if you figured anything out please as I am at my wits end with this! Thanks.

Got mine figured out! I had to remove 6670 from computer and restart in normal mode with onboard graphics. Next I did a full factory reset on Windows 7. Then I shut it down and reinstalled card to motherboard. I restarted Windows and it went fine, recognizing the card as a standard vga adapter. Finally I installed driver from AMD.com using "custom install". This is important because it is the AMD Vision Engine Control Center component of the software that is freezing up the install!!! It is last on the list, 150 mb file. Uncheck the box and it will not install and it should be fine. Mine is! Hope this helps you or anyone else out with this headache.

Back