My computer is connected to my router but I can't use the Internet!

By Jake Randall
Jul 2, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Now this has been going on for months and months! I've now had enough! I've spent too much money trying to fix this! From what I can gather, my computer doesn't recieve either ip4 or ip6 connectivity! I've resorted to using a power line adapter which worked for ONE day! After that it stopped working and now I can't use the Internet agian? My computer works fine, everything works and I've ha no troubles other than this! Please help me! I have got no other solution!
  2. Spykezxp

Spykezxp TS Addict Posts: 287   +73

Please provide some more information:
    Router information: Make and Model?
    What Operating System are you using?
    What is the connection type to the router (Ethernet or Wireless)?
    What supplies your internet (Cable / Fiber Optic / DSL / etc)?
    Is the router also a modem that supplies the internet connection?
    Have you tried to hook a different computer to your router to see if you can re-produce the same results?
  3. It's a TalkTalk model! And it supports wireless as well as wired! My operating system is Windows 7 64bit. As of now I am using a hybrid between wired and wireless! A power line adapter! And yes other laptops in my family are able to connect perfectly fine!

Moderator note: I suggest that you sign in under your TechSpot username instead of just replying as "Guest" to avoid any confusion as to who is replying.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,143   +597

Problem solving is as complicated as the setup being evaluated, so K.I.S.S (keep it simple &stupid).

Wifi is more difficult than wired, SO - -

start with this IPS==Modem/Router--wired--PC and we can test the TCP setup which is a requirement for browsers and everything else.

get a command prompt and enter
    1. ping
    2. nslookup
    (1) should return timing data
    (2) should return the domain name

Browsers typically fail because (2) false to convert a name to an address