My computer is going really slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last few months or so my computer has been going really slow. Ive scanned it with AVG, nothing there. Ive scanned it with spybot again nothing there. Ive defragmented the machine with no luck. When I turn the computer on it seems to be really struggling and when I go to load my ISP again it takes ages to clarify the password etc. It used to be really quick. Its doing my head in. Ive still got 76% memory left. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

as you start adding more and more stuff...your computer will become slower...i would tell you to get more memory...at least 1gb of ddr ram...that would help alot...but...for an easier solution...try using a computer tweaking program ...like pc accelerator ( the old one , new one isn't free ) works well...and try getting your hands on a program called registry mechanic...you can also try looking at the c: drive pie graph window...and select to compress your drive....a few of your system specs would help though....to help understand your limitations....

AnySupreme said:
as you start adding more and more stuff...your computer will become slower...i would tell you to get more memory...at least 1gb of ddr ram...that would help alot...but...for an easier solution...try using a computer tweaking program ...like pc accelerator ( the old one , new one isn't free ) works well...and try getting your hands on a program called registry mechanic...you can also try looking at the c: drive pie graph window...and select to compress your drive....a few of your system specs would help though....to help understand your limitations....

I would do everything discribed above except compress your drive.

Before you compress your drive I would recommend Going through add/remove programs and uninstall all those programs you dont use anymore then defrag your harddrive and if that doesnt work compress your drive

Regular maintenance checklist for computer health and speed:

-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download AdAware, check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

-- Download Diskeeper and defrag

-- Download, update and turn on SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard (or your spyware removal tool of choice).

Alot of the time its because when you uninstall things and change things your system leaves tons of crap in registry that backs up. Cleaning that and also cleaning out things like cookies, temp folders, etc. really helps speed things up. Here, I'll leave a link for a good cleaner that tucows gives a good rating for. Works well. www.tucows.com

Ive still got 76% memory left.
I think you are referring to the amount of hard drive free, not 'memory'.

you didn't give us much to work with:

1. What operating system do you use?
2. How much RAM do you have.
3. Open the Task Manager> right click on Taskbar> Taskmanager> how many processes are running (look in lower left corner)
4. How many process are checked on Startup?
(Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab)
Anything you installed during the years will have put itself on Startup-unless you told it not too.

The only startups you need are the antivirus program, firewall if you have third party firewall and touchpad if on laptop. Nothing else needs to start on boot then run in the background.

The presence of Malware should also be checked.

Hello,

My computer had been working slow lately & getting errors from last month. Friends recommended
me to use registry cleaner to speed up my Windows,because the registry cleaner is a type of software
utility designed for the MS Windows operating system whose purpose is to remove redundant or
unwanted items from the Windows registry. I think a good registry software can help you keep your
PC running smooth .

jparkersoct09, this is an old thread and it's become a 'group thread'.

Most of us do not recommend the use of Registry cleaners. Other suggestions have been given here about doing good maintenance. IT has been shown that the use of Registry cleaners does not significantly increase the 'speed' of a slow computer and can cause additional problems.

And since advertising is prohibited in the Terms of Service for this board, I will request that the moderator remove your post. The software in your post is advertisement for a Registry cleaner- at a price.

I would say to download a program called CCleaner. It is a very useful tool which can eliminate registry bloat and clear your cache and cookies. You might also want to run a command in command prompt

In xp Go to start > Run > Type "cmd" and press enter
If your on vista or windows 7 go to start and search "cmd" then right click the program that comes up in the window and select "run as administrator"

when the new window pops up type "ipconfig /flushdns" with out the " marks This will clear your dns cache which should allow you to connect to websites faster. CCleaner should take care of the rest.

Have a nice day and a speedy pc
Cougar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back