My Computer is rejecting Windows Updates

Hi guys. I have an HP Pavillion G Series computer that runs on the Windows 7 Home Vista operating system.What happened was I deleted a few programs from my laptop which included the Microsoft Security Essentials as it was conflicting with my Norton Antivirus Software.As a result; when windows updates come on; the laptop will attempt to install them then at 30per cent it will reject the updates and announce that the laptop is reversing the changes.My computer has become slow; the windows drivers are out of date and even downloading Adobe has become a chore!

Help me out guys what can I do before I fork hundreds of pounds for something I can potetially get sorted myself

Thanks in advance

Hopefully, you meant to say that you uninstalled a few programs via Control Panel and didn't delete them because that would have left a mess behind. I'd prefer the Microsoft free AV program over Norton though neither is great. If jobeard's link doesn't help you could uninstall Norton and see how thing behave with MSE reinstalled.

Jobeard's solution works but for me but I saw a shorter route that worked. 1st. disable windows update in "Administrative Tools -> services. 2. Then go to c:\windows\Software Distribution and delete everything in that folder. 3. Next open services again and start "windows Update". My computer churned for awhile in windows update but started to download the updates.

I think that you have installed a pirated windows in your system so that your computer rejecting windows updates. First of all, Uninstall your pirated windows and install a genuine windows in your computer so that you can work properly.

Hi guys. I have an HP Pavillion G Series computer that runs on the Windows 7 Home Vista operating system.What happened was I deleted a few programs from my laptop which included the Microsoft Security Essentials as it was conflicting with my Norton Antivirus Software.As a result; when windows updates come on; the laptop will attempt to install them then at 30per cent it will reject the updates and announce that the laptop is reversing the changes.My computer has become slow; the windows drivers are out of date and even downloading Adobe has become a chore!

Help me out guys what can I do before I fork hundreds of pounds for something I can potetially get sorted myself

Thanks in advance
You also might make sure its showing the correct time. If its not, right click the date in the bottom right of your notification area & click on Adjust date/time.
I agree with bass2006 in that MSE is better than norton. I personally prefer Avast. Good luck :)

I think that you have installed a pirated windows in your system so that your computer rejecting windows updates. First of all, Uninstall your pirated windows and install a genuine windows in your computer so that you can work properly.
Why uninstall the pirated version? If it is pirated (NOT genuine) simply install a genuine copy & go get your MS updates. :)

Problems with Windows Update doesn't necessarily mean that the OS is pirated. I had an issue myself and the Microsoft site has a number of threads with people desperately trying to solve it. Basically I couldn't install Windows Internet Explorer 11. I tried all sorts of suggestions without success but eventually found an answer. I posted details of what I found but others didn't find that my solution worked for them. This was one instance where it would have been far quicker to reinstall Windows which is something I dread having to do.

Problems with Windows Update doesn't necessarily mean that the OS is pirated. I had an issue myself and the Microsoft site has a number of threads with people desperately trying to solve it. Basically I couldn't install Windows Internet Explorer 11. I tried all sorts of suggestions without success but eventually found an answer. I posted details of what I found but others didn't find that my solution worked for them. This was one instance where it would have been far quicker to reinstall Windows which is something I dread having to do.
Total agreement there. I have a feeling it may have to do with malware or maybe even his antivirus program. I have seen this happen a lot. Yes you are right some times instead of trying to fix it. It better and far more quicker to reinstall your os.

Last edited:
Back