My computer is running beyond slow

circusboy01

It's a Lenovo Idea Centre K-300 running Windows 7 64 bit
I've run CCleaner, Spywareblaster, Avast, Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Spyware terminator, and JRT
Tried system restore 4 times each time to a different date. All four times I got (paraphrasing) System restore did not complete correctly Nothing was changed.
I wanted to bring it back to factory setting. But I don't remember how.
Can someone, please tell me how to fix it, or at least tell me how to bring it back to factory settings Thanks
Oh Yea. I posted here, instead of in Virus and Malware Removal Because I'm not sure if virus and malware is the problem. Because the list of things I ran, at the top of this post all came out clean. They all found nothing, and I did update when needed Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'd hold off from attempting a factory reset. You could check that the hard drive has plenty of room left and see if a defrag helps.

I'd hold off from attempting a factory reset. You could check that the hard drive has plenty of room left and see if a defrag helps.

I have a1TB. harddrive.So I'm sure there are tons of space left.
( now that I said that I'm actually going to check ;0) )

Edit. Oops I spoke too soon.I don't remember how to access My hard drive, so I can check available space..

Last edited:
Click Start>My computer>right click your hard drive & in the drop down menu right click properties & it should show you. :)

Fyi: Visable Slowness is NOT a degrag issue.

Too many programs running, too many plugins for the brower(s),
and infections intercepting Internet requests are the dominant problems.

Disconnect from the internet, reboot and run other local programs - - how does the system respond?
If it is more responsive w/o the internet, then your network software is likely to infected.

Unable to use System Restore is a sign of problems:
  • get a command prompt and run
  • SFC /scannow (be advised, an Install CD will be necessary if problems are found)
you should be able to perform SR thereafter

Disconnect from the internet, reboot and run other local programs - - how does the system respond?
If it is more responsive w/o the internet, then your network software is likely to infected.

• SFC /scannow (be advised, an Install CD will be necessary if problems are found)

How do I get a command prompt?

Disconnected from the Internet by unplugging my Netgear stick. Rebooted. When the computer was starting up I got ( I'm paraphrasing) Windows is downloading new updates do not turn off your computer. So I waited. After that finished I got something that I had never seen before. " Cleaning Up". Do not turn off your computer
I thought it might be fixing the problem. But when I rebooted it was as slow as ever. I checked for Windows updates, and 4 more were available. Which I downloaded. Computer still slow.
About the command prompt. After I go to a link Learningmypc gave me on how to do a command prompt. I'm going to run SFC/ scannow as you suggested. Thanks again

jobeard. Here's what I got when I ran the command prompt. "You must be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility"

@circusboy01 , you are the administrator. Try Start>All programs>assessories>Command prompt. Good luck.

Did the command prompt through accessories. Got the same message as before.
A person is only the administrator if they choose to be. That's why when you right click on something it gives you a choice to "Run as administrator" You are not automatically the administrator.
It's frustrating. I think that if I could run the sfc prompt I could fix my system recovery, and be able to take my computer back to a time before the problem started

All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disc defragmenter. See if you are able to run the Windows tool to tidy up (defrag) your hard drive. Be prepared to have the computer defrag for a couple of hours to completely tidy things up. Or does it still block you with that "run as administrator" error?

Start->runas /user:administrator cmd
enter the password
this gives the command prompt the correct privs
in the new window, SFC /SCANNOW

Just want everyone to know that I have a brand new Lenovo Laptop running Windows 8.1
Started delving into places I shouldn't have, and clicking on things I shouldn't have on the computer that was running beyond slow..
Ended up with some corrupt files that windows couldn't fix.
I'd give you more details. But, With my lack of knowledge, I would probably just confuse you ;0)
Suffice it to say killed my computer. But I might be able to resurrect it. I tried f11 and I believe f2 over and over. But they didn't work. But my landlady/friend read on line that f11 is tricky. Sometimes you have to keep trying.. So I will probably try the f11 fix again.
Thanks for all the help you have given me on my computers, so far. Looking forward to not having to ask for help on my new one. But we will see. :eek:)

Does this mean that you have screwed up two laptops in quick succession? If so remember that there are plenty of alternatives to a computer. I bought an iPad at the end of last year and find it both very handy and easy to use. More to the point you are unlikely to mess it up because Apple lock things down. There are other tablets which will also do the job more cheaply. If you have just bought a computer with 8.1 remember that in a couple of months you will be invited to upgrade to Windows 10. Keep abreast of Windows 10 development and post on the forum before you do anything else to a PC.

Does this mean that you have screwed up two laptops in quick succession? If so remember that there are plenty of alternatives to a computer. I bought an iPad at the end of last year and find it both very handy and easy to use. More to the point you are unlikely to mess it up because Apple lock things down. There are other tablets which will also do the job more cheaply. If you have just bought a computer with 8.1 remember that in a couple of months you will be invited to upgrade to Windows 10. Keep abreast of Windows 10 development and post on the forum before you do anything else to a PC.

No. This is my first Laptop, and I only messed up one desktop. Sheesh! It's bad enough without you making it seem worse ;0)
I will differently ask for opinions from TS about upgrading, or not upgrading to 10 Thanks.

Back