TechSpot

My computer keeps crashing

By gabbo93
Nov 4, 2007
  1. hey, as the title says my computer keeps crashing, mainly when playing games or trying to burn movies or something of the sort. other times i wouldn't be doing something that should consume to much cpu power, but it still crashes.
    this has been happening for about a year or so, i have tried many different things to fix the problem. but i think it's a hardware problem, because it still happened even after i formatted and reinstalled windows.
    i have upgraded the computer recently, added 512mb, a new hard drive and a new power supply.
    my specs are:
    Intel pentium 4 3.00ghz hyperthreading
    1gb ram
    Radeon 9200 SE Agp 128mb
    Samsung SP2014N 200gb

Any help would be appreciated

also i forgot to metion i bought a new dvd burner recently as well, so my updated specs are:
    Intel pentium 4 3.00ghz hyperthreading
    1gb ram
    Radeon 9200 SE Agp 128mb
    Samsung SP2014N 200gb
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD (old drive (non burner)
    LITE-ON DVDRW (New Burner)
    Again any help would be appreciated

2. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 527

Do you do regular care for your machine? I mean registry cleaning/defragging. Hard disk defragging/error testing. Using CCleaner, continual spyware and virus scans. Duplicate file removal. Another possible is a bad ram module. Pull the 512 MB that has been in it and run it with the new module and see if it stops.

3. gabbo93

gabbo93 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 37

thx for your help and yes i defrag my comp and as a matter of fact i use ccleaner, i clean the registry and the temp files an i use spyware doctor with antivirus i highly doubt it's a software problem. i will try to take out the new 512mb ram that i put in, and see what happens and tell you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.