My computer keeps freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a presario 5000 (1.47 ghz, 80 gb i think, cdrw, dvdrw, 512 mb) that has been habitually freezing. A year ago i brought it in to be fixed, where frye's put in a new harddrive. After 6 months i put it away in the garage, until today where i took it back out to put it together. I read many threads on this site, and thus i put together the computer, checked each loose wire, and reinstalled all of XP. It was working fine, but now it freezes more and more often. The computer does not seem to freeze for any reason, such as that i played a complicated game or the same action prompts it to freeze, but instead the computer just stops, sometimes when im not doing anything at all.
I consulted some friends about this, as my knowledge of computers is very lacking. Some suggested perhaps a problem in the motherboard connecting to the internal harddrive, and thtat i should get an external harddrive connected to a pci slot, redirecting the data around the possible glitch. Another said that my memory cards are not error protected, and thus can not overcome small glitches. I also think it could be because of overheating, since the more recently it was used it seems to freeze faster.
thanx

Hello

Let me get this stright you had your computer in the garage for a while is this correct??

Bad place to store a computer Cold damp dust not good for electronics

Lets see if it is a heat issue does this happen all the time or only when you play games?? if so open the side of the case blow a small floor fan in to it see if it still acts up.

This could be a lot of issues from power supply up to the motherboard itself.

fan

when i put the pc back together i scrubbed out all the dirt and got out on of them mini vacuumers kinda. The computer freezes not when i play games, but at totally random points, often when i have only one simple activity like mozilla or aim on

I bet you shorted the board from the cleaning procross ... FIrst get some canned air pull the ram blow out that area with the air ... Does it post at all any beeps or anything..

i tried cleaning it

i took out each ram and i tried to clean the slot. i didn't have any compressed air or whatever, but i tried using a blow dryer and a vacuum. Should i get new RAM? One person i talked to said my current ones are non-parity (or something to do with not correcting an error), and that i should get some with parity instead. i am sorta clueless nonetheless.

btw, if this helps: Whenever my computer is at least 5 minutes into a dvd, it wont freeze.

Hello

Never use a vacuum unless it is made for computers... If this is the ram that came with the system there should not be a problem with it..

Still did not answer my question does it post at all (ANY BEEPS ) any error messages.

Do you have any lights hear the hdd spin anything??

Do you have ddr ram or the old sdram ???

download this and run it to test your ram

http://www.memtest86.com/

let us know

aite

Hi
im to computer-dumb to figure out how to run the test, but the sticker on the side of the comp calls it a 512 MB SyncDRAM Total System Memory, which im assuming is what SDRAM stands for.
Also, when my computer freezes, it doesn't start beeping or go to that wierd blue screen. The screen just seems to freeze, and thus i cant type or move the mouse and recieve any reaction. I cant even press the off button on the computer - instead i just turn off the power. the fan continues to hum pretty normally... nothing out of sync really except nothing on the screen moves or reacts.
srry i dont no more

Well bud sounds to me u killed it .. I could say take it to a shop have them check it out .. But for what you going to pay to fix it Few $$ more you can just buy a new one , or better yet build one yourself! be a good learning experience for you..

Best thing to do on first build is buy a computer they call a barebones( they usually have a procrossor motherboard combo and a case and ps) you will add the hdd memory video card and what ever else you like these are great for the first timer ...

First check your power supply, you may not have enough power to run a DVD player with a 250w PS. You need 400 watts minimum.
Second, if the PS is OK, then check the memory, one of the memory modules might contain errors that cause the computer to freeze up in the middle of doing something, even when writing a text.

man you must have the same problem that i do only my goddam comp is only afected
by counter-strike and internet explorer . someone told me to try cleaning the errors on the comp but it didnt work for me . why dont you give it a shot?

hey buddy, umm my problem is fixed.. sadly the only solution was to format my c drive...i think it froze once maybe... but it could be un-related.. so far ive had 6-8 months of peace.. this computer is purring softer than a kitten

thanks tho.. i think thats the only solution.. if its not hardware.. backup all yo sh!t and format.. worked for me :)

good luck

My Computer is freezing Too

Hello.
Thanks for all your tech advice.
I have a problem that I need help with. I have a Compaq presario SR---- I bought it about 3 years ago, its running Windows Xp home edition. I have not put any additions to it, only a printer. Its a media center, about a month ago, it started freezing, it would just be sitting on the desktop, then when i go to it, i find the mouse is frozen on the screen, it wont respond to the 3 key boot "alt/ctl/del" and i CANT even hit the power button in the front. The only way to recover it would be to actually unplug it. Ive noticed that when it comes back up the screen flashes, the black one that gives you the option to select recovery or something, but it continues and boots, pretty fast. My computer sits on a metal stand, i have a carpeted floor. Its sitting very close to the floor, but its been sitting there for at least a year. I looked up some t/s and decided to change the power supply. for a few days, no freezing happened, but Now it doesnt seem to freeze as often, i found out that if i turn on the tv, (on the computer) which i guess makes the computer "do something" it doesnt freeze i guess because its not sitting idle. But it still freezes up, i've cleaned out the back with the compressed air, is there anything else i can try.

i dunno the cure for this... all i know is once i formatted my hard drive and reinstillly everything, my prob was gone...

if that dont work... its hardware

1. Did you replace your CMOS battery? Your old one is probably dead or dying.

2. Did you check your ram with memtest 86+?

3. DId you replace your PSU?

If not, do all three in that order.

Did you replace your CMOS battery? Your old one is probably dead or dying.
oooh, i'm skeptical about messing with that battery, i hear i could burn out the mother board or something. LOL what are some other symtoms of the cmos battery dying,

2. Did you check your ram with memtest 86+?
how do i do the memtest86+

3. DId you replace your PSU?
I'm not sure what the PSU is....please explain that one

oh, i found the memtest on line, i ran the pc doctor thing, (is that a pretty reliable program?)
everything passed the tests, should i still try and diagnos with something better.

lol. I feel like a retard. Yes, I changed the power supply, i put a new one in when i first started having this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back