My computer randomly shuts off

By Sacraficer
Aug 18, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My computer randomly shuts off ONLY when i am playing games... it can do msn and music and stuff fine but when i play a game it usually lasts around 30 mins to an hour and it automatically shuts off my computer.. im wondering if this is my fan or ? What is going ? Help! ty :D
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

That usually means the system is overheating. make sure all your fans are working.
  3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,711

You should download the free software from Everest on http://www.lavalys.com/ and run this while you are gaming. This will tell you if the system is overheating and which chip it is most likely to be.
  4. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas Newcomer, in training Posts: 718

Sounds like your graphics processor is spreading too much heat to your cpu. A hot cpu shuts down a system. A hot psu does so also. Your mobo should run around 120F. Your cpu around 110F. Too much heat can change the value of any electrical component then they become erratic.
  5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,385   +205

If you haven't already, can you try opening your PC and blow out as much dust as possible. At the same time inspect the fans on the motherboard and graphics card fan (if there is one) to make sure they are working properly. Sometimes when they get clogged with dust, they burn out or spin too slowly even after cleaning.
  6. AlbertLionheart

It could be that your PSU is overheating too - don't try and open it, just make sure the vents are all clear and the fan is running properly.
  7. Rilla927

Rilla927 Newcomer, in training Posts: 180

That's when a PSU Tester and multimeter comes in handy.
  8. AlbertLionheart

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.