My Computer shuts off a few seconds after i turn it on

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Millurn

When I plug in my computer and flip the power switch on the back my pc try's to turn on the fan's run and it sounds like it's trying to power up and then shut's off 3-5 seconds later. And when I try to turn it on from the power button in the front it doesn't do anything. I've sent it back to the place I ordered it from(CyberPowerPc) 3 times and they send me it back with the same problem happening they have replaced the motherboard and 2 stick's of ram and it say's on the invoice they tested it before they shipped it to me so is something happening in shipping or am I being screwed.

WesternDigital 740AD RAPTOR 2x74GB SATA2 10000RPM Hard Drive
INTEL QUAD CORE Q6600 2.4GHZ CPU
4X1GB CORSAIR DDR2 6400 XMS2 EXTREME Ram
C2D ASUS STRIKER EXTREME SLI QUAD 680I Motherboard
EVGA GF 8800 ULTRA 768MB PCI-E Graphic's Card
ULTRA V-SERIES 600W POWER SUPPLY
BLACK NZXT ZERO ALUMINUM Full tower
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32-BIT OS

Hi Millurn welcome to the site.

seem odd that they Would BOTH not work. Might be the CPU might be at fault here. I am surprised that it does not work as everything is compatible.

It also sounds like it might be the PSU. Can you get hold of another 400W plus PSU and see if that works. If so then you know what the Issue is.

hope this helps

James

no i cant get ahold of another power supply to test it :( but i was planning on taking it to geek squad or something to see if they could fix it cause the place i got it from keeps having me take a couple sticks of ram out and trying to move the video card slots and it does nothing..

I think thay are trying to get you to bench test your machine. How confident do you feel about taking your machine apart? lol

If you are then i can give you a quick walkthrough to bench test your machine and maybe this will help you work out what is wrong.

Hope this helps

James

No lol i dont really know much about pc's other then how to use them. One of my friends said to try removing a reset switch on the motherboard and putting it back on saying it should reset the voltage another said it might be the ram not getting enough voltage to remove all but 1 and if it boots check the bios to see what there set at. But i dont know what im doing or touching in the the pc sometimes and i already tryed the ram.

yes it could be not enough voltage getting to the RAM but your board supports upto 8GB or RAM and you are onlu using 4 Gb so i doubt this. I recommend the following:

remove the side panel of the case and unplg 3 of the stick of RAM. Leave the stick of RAM in the first slot alone which is the one nearest the CPU.

Then unplug all the Hard drive and any optical drives that you have plugged in.

Your mobo has no onboard VGA so u will need your graphics card plugged in and there is probably a MOLEX power socket on the graphics card. If there is then make sure that this is plugged in.

You should now have just the monitor, keyboard, mouse and 1 stick on RAM plugged in into the PC.

Press the power button and if it works you should get to post screen. If you do get to the post screen then it could well be an issue with the RAM.

If you DO still get a boot problem see if you can borrow an odder PCI-E graphics card and replace yours and redo the test.

However is sill believe that it is the PSU.

Hope this helps

James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back