My computer takes 5 minutes to post

By cashew75
Oct 13, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sometimes my computer takes up to 5 minutes to post. Other times it boots right up from being completely powered down. I've tried unplugging all the drives so it was just the PSU, MB, RAM, and video card. It still didn't post. I'm thinking it's either the video card or the motherboard. The computer will boot up right away on a restart or if it's been running for a while and shut down for 30 seconds. The computer is brand new and already had the video card repaired once and one dimm replaced. It's an AMD Athlon 2500 Barton core, AGI 300 Watt PSU, 512 MB Dual channel (2x256), 200 GB HD, 16X DVD, 52x32x52 CDRW, Radeon 9500 Pro 128 MB, and Windows XP. Any ideas on what it may be and how to test it without having a spare computer or AGP video card? ATI thinks it's the power supply, the computer manufacturer thinks it's the video card or motherboard.
  2. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,040

How's your temp? Is it pretty hot? Did you use a thermal compound on the CPU?
  3. cashew75

cashew75 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

The CPU temp is 44 C/111 F. The MB temp is 28 C/82 F. I'm not sure if a thermal compound was used on the CPU or not. I bought the system completely put together except the video card. I purchased that separately since the place I bought the computer from didn't offer the 9500 Pro.
  4. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Have you tried a different power supply, 300 Watts is quite low for the system spec you have. Also have you got the extra power connector plugged into your graphics card (if it requires one)?
  5. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

When you say it doesn't post, do you mean that there is no sign of any activity, or that it gets as far as windows starting to load, and then apear to stop?
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

It appears it's an nForce motherboard. If it's an Asus you should enable the Speech Post Reporting and have a speaker hooked up to your line out. If there's a problem that can be detected by it, your computer should tell you. It may help you (or us) troubleshoot your problem.
  7. cashew75

Re: Re: My computer takes 5 minutes to post

When I say it doesn't post, what it does is spin up the CD drives and hard drives, but the monitor doesn't get any signal and stays in a powered down mode (the orange light is on, not the green). It never gets to the "beeps" or displays anything on the monitor.
  8. cashew75

It is an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, and sound is enabled and I have the speakers hooked up to it. But it doesn't get far enough along in the bootup process to where the voice comes on. After 5 minutes, it beeps, then I hear it say, "Computer now booting from operating system."
    <p>
    Ironically enough, it's booted right up the last 2 days. I wish it'd be consistant. It makes it really hard to trace down problems when it acts differently every time it boots up.
  9. ViceO

ViceO Newcomer, in training

same problem

I have the exact same problem except it takes me 15 seconds.. i have a 350 watt power supply and a radeon 9800 pro.. its not the temp thats causing this i have a liquid cooling system in my comptuer.. i think it is the power supply, i havnt gotten around to buying a new, more powerful one.. and when he means it takes time to post he means NOTHING at all happens.. its like the comptuer is on stand by, until it decides to initiate post, the computer turns on, you can hear it running, only thing is no monitor display... its strange, :(
  10. cashew75

About a month ago, my computer finally refused to boot up. So a friend had recently upgraded his video card and let me borrow his old one. Sure enough, the computer booted right up. So I sent my Radeon 9500 Pro back to ATI under warranty. A few weeks later a brand new card arrived. I gave my friend his old card back and my computer's been working fine ever since. I do notice this video card is much louder with the fan noise. Which makes me think my original card's fan wasn't working and that's why it failed. If you have a spare video card laying around, you may want to try that before swapping out power supplies. Good luck diagnosing your problem.
  11. SkeTchet

SkeTchet Newcomer, in training

its your card

its it most likly your vid card. I have had problomes in the past with some radeon cards not working on serten driver versions if it dous not work right on the letest driver maby downgrade to a lower version and see if thats your problom. It could be a defective card like you said its been fixed once most likely it was not realy fixt all the way :knock: your power suply is low i would upgrade that some time if i were you but if you realy dont have to dont. who knows maby you bot one of those stolen defective amd prossesors hehe. Still looks like its your card you should get a x800pro like me kicks the well you know out of any other card i have ever used my brothers 6800gt is nice to. But your going to need to Rob a gas station just to get one ;)

12. Ea$Y

Ea$Y Newcomer, in training Posts: 73

It wouldnt be the vid card if it wasnt making contact with the agp slot the bios error beep would complain right away with a series of beeps - Power supply I doubt it. Sounds more like a bad cmos or northbrige or possibly a bad install of the O.s or a bad sector on the drive - there are too many variables to really tell for sure- but a cmos malfunction raises a flag for me.

Hope you get it sorted

Cheers
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.