My computer turns on and goes to stand by mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrusha

Well well well... It seems like I have already lost my hope... When I turn on the computer it seems to be loading but I only see the black screen and then the monitor goes to the stand by mode. There are no beeps or anything. And couple of times when I turned it on it got to the COMPAQ picture and then stopped again. The thing is I had this NTLDR is missing thing, I fixed it, the computer worked for another 2 weeks or less (I am not sure if my current problem has got any connection to the former one). Does anyone know what it is? My friend is saying that I will have to change some parts of hardware.

hrusha said:
Well well well... It seems like I have already lost my hope... When I turn on the computer it seems to be loading but I only see the black screen and then the monitor goes to the stand by mode. There are no beeps or anything. And couple of times when I turned it on it got to the COMPAQ picture and then stopped again. The thing is I had this NTLDR is missing thing, I fixed it, the computer worked for another 2 weeks or less (I am not sure if my current problem has got any connection to the former one). Does anyone know what it is? My friend is saying that I will have to change some parts of hardware.

did you run chkdsk /r?

have you looked at your power management settings?

how can i run a chkdsk if its not turning on?
and I am not sure how I can look at my power management settings

You will have to take the side off of your pc case and have a look in there, if you have an agp graphics card, try removing and refitting it!!!!!

ok, i figured it out, its a plug in one. Though I havent tried to remove it yet. Will do that today and tell you what happened tomorrow.

Well, i tried to unplug it and plugged it back in, cleaned the pc inside a little bit... now its a screen with compaq sign when i turn it on... and then i tried pressing some keys and when i pressed F6 there was a message Illegal Opcode executed and some info about drives.
Can u tell me whats wrong?

You will need to clean ALL the dust out of it and unplug and replug your ram and all cards and see if that helps!!!!

mmm....

Well I cant run the cd since its nto loading at alll...nly the compaq screen, I cant even get to BIOS...

Hmmmm, I'm all out of ideas!! You must have a hardware fault but it could be psu, mobo, ram, processor, or graphics card!!!

The only thing left to try without needing spare parts to compare to is to remove the ram all together and power up!!! If you get nothing on the monitor and the pc beeps then it could be ram!!! If not, you are stuck and will need spares to test everything else!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back