My Computer Turns ON...Kind of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austinjh

All Right...so I'm having A serious problem with my Laptop right now...

I'm thinking it has something to do with a virus...but anyways...back to my problem...

I CAN turn my computer on...it loads...than it goes to this blue screen with writing on it that says something like that:

Your computer has been shut down due to an Error...blah blah
If this is the first time you've seen this problem, just restart your computer...if this is the second time you've seen this screen, do this and this and this.

(sorry for being so undescriptive)

and so I keep restarting my computer...but it just keeps going to that screen...so I'm just really out of ideas...I really need help :D...please?

Hi, welcome to Techspot :)

Assuming you're using windowsXP... right mouse click "my computer" icon, select properties > start up and recovery (settings) > under system failure uncheck the "automatically restart" box > click OK and exit

*if you cant even stay in windows long enough to do that, then hold F8 while booting up and choose "safe mode", then once in windows perform the above procedure

once that step is completed, next time it crashes the blue screen will stay on the screen instead of rebooting. this will allow you to copy the exact error message down so we can find your problem.

when it crashes and you get the blue screen... copy the exact error message letter for letter and make sure you include the file that it links to the error (it will be part of the message)

then post the message here so we can help you further

KingCody said:
Hi, welcome to Techspot :)

Assuming you're using windowsXP... right mouse click "my computer" icon, select properties > start up and recovery (settings) > under system failure uncheck the "automatically restart" box > click OK and exit

I can't get past the error Screen... so I can't get to the desktop...therefore I can't do any of that...sadly.

did you keep reading??

KingCody said:
if you cant even stay in windows long enough to do that, then hold F8 while booting up and choose "safe mode", then once in windows perform the above procedure

ok... press F8 while booting up and select "last known good configuration", see if you can boot up that way

also.. did you add, move, or remove any hardware or install any software prior to this happening?

KingCody said:
ok... press F8 while booting up and select "last known good configuration", see if you can boot up that way

also.. did you add, move, or remove any hardware or install any software prior to this happening?

Yes...I tried booting that way...didn't work...everything just goes back to the wonderful blue error screen...

Not that I know of...

OK, since none of the above has worked...

1. strip your PC down to a barebones system (disconnect everything except the PSU, CPU, 1 RAM stick, video card (unless video is onboard).

2. if you can boot into windows, then add 1 component at a time and reboot to find the culprit

Austinjh said:
All Right...so I'm having A serious problem with my Laptop right now...

I'm thinking it has something to do with a virus...but anyways...back to my problem...

I CAN turn my computer on...it loads...than it goes to this blue screen with writing on it that says something like that:

Your computer has been shut down due to an Error...blah blah
If this is the first time you've seen this problem, just restart your computer...if this is the second time you've seen this screen, do this and this and this.

(sorry for being so undescriptive)

and so I keep restarting my computer...but it just keeps going to that screen...so I'm just really out of ideas...I really need help :D...please?
I had the same problem. To fix it you need to insert the Windows XP CD and go to the setup of Windows XP via a CD boot. When you reach the main screen, press R to launch Recovery Console.

1. Once at the Command Prompt type in bootcfg /list and ENTER.

2. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

3. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.

Let me know if this helps.

Coolmatt said:
I had the same problem. To fix it you need to insert the Windows XP CD and go to the setup of Windows XP via a CD boot. When you reach the main screen, press R to launch Recovery Console.

1. Once at the Command Prompt type in bootcfg /list and ENTER.

2. At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP installation to the Boot.ini file:

a. When you receive a message that is similar to the following message, press Y:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)

b. You receive a message that is similar to the following message:
Enter Load Identifier
This is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

c. You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options
When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

Note The instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on the configuration of your computer.

3. Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.

Let me know if this helps.

That Just might work! NOw just to find my Window's XP CD...hehe. Thanks a lot!!

Austinjh said:
That Just might work! NOw just to find my Window's XP CD...hehe. Thanks a lot!!
No problem. I had this same problem with a Dell laptop of mine which made me so mad that I could bash my fist into the screen lol. Let me know if it works.

Well I didn't have time today...but I'll try tomorrow...and I almost DID bash my fist into the screen (mines on a laptop as well)...but I refrained from doing so...hehe.

Well...I have another tiny little problem...I don't think I got the XP reinstallation disk with my order...or at least I can't find it...I found the one to my desktop computer...but that's service pack one and it's for a desktop so I'm not sure if it would work...

I'm pretty sure yur desktop version of Windows XP will work on the laptop cuz i have a Dell inspiron and i used the XP reinstallation disk to put it on my Desktop till i stole a copy of XP pro from my work besides yur machine will pickup what devices are attached when it loads.

But also i've seen this problem b4 on couple other my laptops all dells btw and they all suck cuz i hate Dell ( freakin Offshore support to Pakistan *sigh*) . But it would do pretty much what yur describing and in all cases it was the HDD burned out but mine all made funny noises right b4 the blue screen of death came.

But thats just me and my 2 cents GL man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back