My computer/video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so this might seem like the odysey of my computer's history, but any sort of detail might be important, because I have tried a lot of things....and nothing has been solved.
5 or so years ago, I bought my Compaq Presario SR1130NX from CompuSmart, which included an nVIDIA videocard (GeForce MX4000 AGP), Windows XP, a refurbushed monitor, (not widescreen) and the rest of the specs of the cpu can be found by typing the Compaq product name on google.
My computer was installed by Compusmart and then, after some many hours or so, my computer was completely installed and we took it home. My computer worked fine for many years.
Christmas of 2007, I think, I got the LEGO Indiana Jones videogame, not noticing that I was in need of video Shaders, something that my videocard didn't have. I vainly tried to install it, but no luck. So, in August 2008, I bought a new videocard. It was an ATI diamond, and kept on crashing and malfunctioning. After buying 4 or 5 different copies of the same thing, all with the same problems, we gave up with the ATI and bought an nVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (PCI) in September of 2008 and installed it.
Here is where the problems began.
So, my computer starts fine when playing a game, then, after a couple of minutes once going as far as 20 minutes, the screen freezes, and the music continues. Then the music trills, then the music continues again normally , and then the game continues perfectly fine. This takes the space of 1 minute or so. It repeats itself every couple of minutes.
It happens in: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter Quidditch World Cup, Pirates of the Carribean At World's End, sometimes with Zoo Tycoon 2 Zoo Keeper's Collection. I would like to point out that these games worked perfectly fine with the MX4000, so it's not a problem of computer specs.
I have tried: to un-install and re-install my new videocard, to make sure that I had un-installed all of the ATI drivers from my computer, I installed a new memory module (I had 500MB of RAM, now I have installed another 500MB of RAM), talked with BFG (the brand of my nVIDIA) they told me to get an RMA ( I can't because my videocard is out of warranty), I talked with HP....they were useless, I tried to see if anything was wrong with my BIOS, nothing was wrong. I also updated my drivers....all of them.
None of those things worked.
One thing that I did notice, was that the onboard videocard, and my actual videocard had swapped info, therefore, I had my nVIDIA with 64MB and my onboard with 256 MB :p I ended up solving that by deleting one thing that now prevents something or other of my onboard.
And I don't think it's overclocking because my computer doesn't feel warm at all, actually, when my computer does that...thing ( I haven't thought up of a name for it yet) my computer feels pretty cold, but not cold like freezing, just normal temp.
Any suggestions?
I may have tried other things that I can't think of the top of my head, and nothing works :p Help!!! :confused:
Thanks,
If you need any more clarification let me know,
faultybuthuman

If you are feeling the outside case of the PC, that is not a good indicator that the graphics card is not overheating. Instead, what is the actual temperature being reported?
...to make sure that I had un-installed all of the ATI drivers from my computer, I installed a new memory module (I had 500MB of RAM...
There is no connection between RAM and uninstalling drivers so I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. If you didn't already, when you uninstall your graphics drivers, go through Add and Remove Programs.

sorry, the two things have nothing to do with each other, I was just listing things that I had done. How can I tell the temperature on my computer.... without the need to download some shady program..... I really don't trust those things.... my computer is messed up enough without getting messed up with some virus or trojan. :p
I know for sure that it's not the PSU because I have 250W (it might not seem like a lot but :p) and the video card needs 250W.... also, my old videocard also needed 250W, so it's not that, I already checked :D
faultybuthuman

It is the PCI VGA card issue since slower bus bit and also the VIA chipset on your motherboard incompatible with the PCI graphics. If you can upgrade your motherboard to the new AMD or nVidia base chipset & change the VGA card to PCI-e. It will solve the problems. But problem is your AMD XP 3000 cpu not easier to find the motherboard with the PCI-e slot on it. I think it is time to buy another system........good luck.

woah... hold on, my motherboard supports pci and agp.....plus, your post is a bit confusing... any chance you could clarify yourself? What I understood is that my motherboard doesn't work with pci cards (even though I have a PCI slot) and that I need to upgrade my motherboard into one that supports PCI-e (but my videocard is PCI) However,it's hard to find a motherboard that has a PCI-e slot for my cpu, and that I should buy a new computer.
I'm sorry, but I kind of don't have the money to buy a new computer, so.... that's kind of not do-able :p Plus, if I do try to get a new video card or RMA, I would have to upgrade my power supply as well :(

woah...hold on a sec, my motherboard supports pci and agp. Your post is a bit confusing pkww2, what I understood is that my motherboard doesn't work with PCI videocards (even though there is a PCI slot in it), that I should upgrade my motherboard to one that accepts PCI-e cards (even though my videocard is PCI) and that gettting a motherboard with the said specs that you mentioned,and that works with my cpu is really hard to find, so I should buy a new computer. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy a new computer right now so :p any other suggestions are accepted...if there are any..... I'm not trying to be a idea killer, but I have tried pretty much everything, so I wanted to see if someone else knew anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back