TechSpot

My computer will not play any movies

By Speed Demon
Mar 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,
    Here is the problem-
    I can not play any movies whether it is saved on a CD, or even a DVD in the DVD player. The computer will freeze as soon as I try to open the movie.
    Then I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart. The computer was fine last week when I played some movies, now I have this problem.

I have the latest codecs and the latest version of WMP.
    I ran Spybot S&D and McAfee antispyware thinking that would help, but did not find anything.
    OS-Windows ME

Thanks in advance,
    Mark
  2. CSguy

CSguy TS Rookie

3. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Posts: 73

That has happend to me before too, I just switched players for watching DVD,AVI and basically anything that wont open in 'stock' WMP. Here is a link to VLC media player. I find that VLC media player is pretty good, opens almost anyfile type and is pretty kickass and simple. :hotbounce
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
    -Dan
  4. thmandan22

thmandan22 TS Rookie Posts: 73

I do not think that would be the direct cuase of his computer lock up, and neither would WMP as mentioned in the post above as that is just a possible solution. Region codeing would just pop a messege saying "cannot play wrong region" or somthing along those lines. It may even prompt you to change regions on your DVD player, alowing only a certain number of changes. I honestly do not think that the region coding is the problem.
  5. CSguy

CSguy TS Rookie

Maybe it is just a software error. Try uninstall and reinstall your media player.
  6. triplate

triplate TS Rookie Posts: 148

There,s a new release of WMP 10 available...v.38**...try it..;){it wont designate the new version on site..but your current one is v.36**...you,ll get 38**}
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.