My Computer Will Not Turn On, Please Help!

By Montauk
Aug 17, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone. Ok, here is the deal.... Today a bad storm started rolling in, so I shut down my computer and unplugged the surge protector from the wall.

After running into town and back (approx 1.5 hours) I plugged everything back in, and my computer would not start. EVERYTHING else plugged into the surge protector powers on: speakers, monitor, router and hub, external HD, desk fan, everything except my computer powers on. The only thing that is on is a little green light on the motherboard.

I have tried the following:

Flipping the reset switch on the power strip

Flipping the power supply switch on and off

Reseading various hardware

Checked, rechecked, and rechecked any / all cables inside and outside of the computer

Unpluged the computer's power cable from the surge protector and plugged it directly into the wall.

Nothing is working.

Now, I did not unplug the ethernet cable from the computer, but if it had been hit by lightening, wouldn't the cable modem, hub, or heck even a TV have gotten fried?

The only things I can think of doing is A) Buying a new power supply, or B) a new motherboard. What do you guys think? Please help, this is just super frustrating....I have a two thousand dollar footrest.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,732   +156

The motherboards NIC (network Internet Connection) could have been fried... Do you have an on-board NIC or a separate PCI NIC?
  3. Montauk

Montauk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

The onboard NIC is what I'm using, and I have no other atm.
  4. Montauk

Montauk Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok turns out it was the PSU. I ran to Staples today to pick up a cheapy PSU to test it, and WOOT! Now to get a real PSU from Newegg and return this one when it gets in!
  5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.