My computer won't boot even off a disk

By angrymobo
Dec 4, 2005
  1. I'm running windows XP and my computer keeps getting stuck in a loop when I boot up. It asks me if I want to boot in safe mode but my keyboard will not work. When it times out it starts to load Windows but gives me a BSOD that is so fast I can't even read the error message. My keyboard does work when I load the BIOS or try toboot from a disk but when it asks me if I'd like to boot from the disk the keyboard stops working. I don't know how else I can access the computer to trouble shoot, please help.
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

is yuor keyboard connected USB or PS\2? if it is USB then try a PS\2 keyboard or an adapter.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I'd suggest another keyboard, and possibly a different type as iss stated.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
  4. angrymobo

angrymobo TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank You

I'm back up and running. I had a ps/2 adapter and plugged my keyboard in and it worked. I was thinking of trying that but I was confused by my keyboard working in BIOS menu. I rand Data Lifeguard and it fixed the errors that were on my drive. Thank you very much!
  5. constantobstacl

constantobstacl TS Rookie

Hey everyone,
    Does anybody know the solution to this problem if both your USB keyboard AND ps\2 keyboards do not work at startup? I have tried at least 2 compatible keyboards to press DEL to access my bootable cd before windows loads but the keyboards only power up once windows starts to load. Any advice? Thanks!!
  6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

can you get into BIOS at all?
  7. constantobstacl

Yes I was able to open it with Run/cmd, and I changed the time in seconds for each though I didn't see a difference. I'm not sure how to edit it to have the cd drive bootable first as default.
  8. constantobstacl

I also accessed the notepad version f boot.ini by going to the My Computer Properties and clicking on the Advanced tab, then under 'Setup & Recovery' clicked Settings, and then Edit, and this is what I have:
    [boot loader]
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Is this what you meant? I'm searching how to access BIOS and everything says to press this or that at startup, but I can't because I have no keyboard at that time.
    I need either the keyboard to work during startup OR change the settings so my computer will start the bootable windows setup cd before even loading windows.
    Thank you so much so far!
  9. Tedster

ok, if your keyboard won't even let you into BIOS, you have a hardware failure. Perhaps the keyboard/mouse port on your motherboard is broken. (bad or loose connection or something more serious.)
  10. constantobstacl

Hey Tedster, thanks for your response! If there's a failure or the port is broken, how am I able to still use the keyboard(s) after startup? How would I be sure that is the problem and possible solutions for it. Also, is there an alternate way of editing BIOS?
    Thank you!
  11. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

I had this posted somewhere here a few days ago
    try /EXECUTE in boot.ini change boot.ini from read only
    change no/EXECUTE to /EXECUTE may fix what ever needs loaded for keyboard
    also good link
  12. Tedster

you stated you can't use your keyboard to even get into BIOS, therefore I assumed your keyboard doesn't work at all....

if you can use it otherwise, then you must be pressing the wrong key to enter BIOS.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.