My computer won't recongize my camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I think I may sound really dumb here but I'm giving it a shot, I'm totally confused. I installed a PYRO Digital Video 1394 quite a while back hoping to put my tapes onto dvd. I use to use the usb port with Pinnacle Studio hardware but wanted better video transfer.
My computer recognizes the card and it shows in the Device Manager but my camcorder isn't recognized when I plug it in, turn it on and put it on play mode. I have re-seated the card and restarted the computer with the camcorder on, still nothing. I contacted Gateway about maybe needing drivers but they said my system has all the drivers and I should contact the maker of the card, I did. They said maybe the card or the slot is bad...can this be since it shows up in the Device Manager the way it should? Am I just getting the run around from companies here and should I scrap the card and give up? I'm just getting so tired of trying to figure this out, any help would be so appreciated!

Be gentle, remember I'm a grandma ;)

I think the software may be looking to the wrong "port". Does Windows (XP?) recognize new hardware when you plug in the camera?
Does Device Manager show the 1394 card is functioning normally?
What video capture software are you using?
I think I would start by entering the video editing software and look in the setup for any hints as to what is wrong. Did you add drivers for the 1394 card?

Maybe a little more info about the computer would be helpful.

Yes it is WinXP, and yes new hardware is usually recognized when I add it, it didn't recognize the camera though. I used the disc's which came with the camera to load any drivers etc. The 1394 is shown working correctly in the Device Manager also. I have tried Pinnacle Studio to capture the video but it doesn't recognize that the camera is plugged in. I have also used the software which came with the Sony camera and it doesn't recognize the camera either.

About the computer

It is a Gateway desktop with Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz, 1024 meg of ram,
AGP Device nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, not sure what else you need or even what else I know, thanks for trying to help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back