My computer won't start

By stamoore
Jul 9, 2007
  1. I downloaded updates for my microsoft 4000 keyboard and hit the wrong button!! Dont know which one. I shut down my comp and tried to restart but the only screen message I get is "cannot display this video mode".
    I have tried to reboot my comp using my windows disc but no good.

my system is as follows: AO1
    Dell 8250 500FSB
    Pentium 4 2.53Ghz
    Level 2 Cache 512KB integrated
    Biois version

Any ideas anyone??
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

3. stamoore

stamoore TS Rookie Topic Starter

My computer still wont start

Computer only displayscreen message "Cannot Display this video mode"
    When I try to start in :
    Normal Mode
    Last Known good configuration

Follow Dell instructions trying to reload windows but it doesnt seem to see the program disc
    any ideas?
    basically, I cant get get the computer to boot up at all which I need to do to follow instruction which you so kindly posted.
  4. CCT

When you power on, do you see anything of the bios screen?

If you do, press F2 when prompted.

If you don't, power off, pull the plug, press the case-front power button again, then open the side panel and pull the bios battery (or use the cmos reset jumper if you know where it is).

Let sit for 5 minutes.

Replace the battery (put the jumper back), plug in the cable, plug into the wall and boot.

See if that works.
  5. stamoore

stamoore TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for your prompt response CCT
    Yes is see the Bios message "Bios Revision A01" ok.
    Tried F2 on startup and it brings the "Setup" screen up but when I scroll down to "boot Sequence" and press Enter, i get the message
    Diskette Drive
    Hard Disk Drive
    IDE CD Rom Device
    I selected the Hard Disk and pressed Enter But it just loops back to the starting sequence again
  6. CCT

You want to change the sequence so the cd is first so you can boot to your disk if needed.

Then, you may want to try and boot into the Safe Mode with networking mode and change any video settings to something your monitor will accept.

If that won't work, reboot your computer, press F8 during the boot process, use the arrow keys to highlight 'Last Known Good Configuration', and then press ENTER.

Failing that, a System restore process is your next bet.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.