My cpu doesn't understand overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabenfox

ok i had my fsb up to 225 mhz. This brought my computer to about 2.9 gigz. Well from the experiences i've had i know that beyond this point my computer starts becoming unstable and sometimes wont even start up.

So as swine and suggested i then raised my dram voltage by
+.1 volts. to try and stable out my computer so i could continue to overclock. After saving to the bios the computer would'nt post. So then i decide to give it +.2 volts, same thing. I've gotten the computer actually up to 3.1 gigz (unstable) and then proceeded to give the ram +.1 volts, in which not only was it unstable but it didn't even post.

So the only thing left that i havn't messed with is cpu voltage. I have nothing in my bios that allows me to lock my agp bus to 66mhz, nor does it give me the option to change my cpu/memory ratio. So i was just wondering, there's nothing left for me to do right ?
(i've also updated to the latest bios)

i spent $200 dollars to get +300 megahertz right ?

Giga-Byte 8vt800-L
512 ddr500 OCZ
Geforce4 ti4200
soundblaster live
realtek nic
Windows Xp

Btw i just installed easytune 4 which comes with the giga-byte software. it is supposed to help you overclock easier. Well i noticed that it had quite a few things on it like the ability to change the voltage, to increase the system bus, and it showed me what the agp was running at.

Well I raised my dram voltage to 2.6 volts (was at 2.5) then put my system bus at 231 FSB. This brought my compute rto 3 gigz, however my agp bus is now running at 77 mhz. It says there are three options, there is linear, divider, and async, yet mysteriously which i clicked on them Async was not an option for me. Really starting to piss me off. So based on that

System bus is 231 Fsb
ram at 2.6 volts
Agp bus at 77mhz

And my computer freezes. If i do these same settings in bios my computer doesn't freeze it just doesn't post. So why wont my computer work. Is it because i can't lock my agp bus, or my memory/ratio is screwed up. Personally it's not making any sense to me

Edited because of language
-- Mictlantecuhtli

A bit of info might be helpful. Maybe telling us what CPU you have...
I assume you had a previos related thread since you did as someone suggested, it would be good to reply to that thread rather than making a new one like you did here.

And lastly, this is not even the right forum for overclocking discussion(although it seems that no one else can seem to read the STICKY in the top of this forum stating that all OC discussion should be put in cooling/modding either)

I don't think your CPU is what the problem is ( ie the thread title). You seem to have a motherboard that is OC'ing limited. Really hard to get very high OC if you can't lock the agp/pci, things just really wack out.

You might want to consider changing out the motherboard for a dual channel model that is more OC'ing friendly...

Later....

AGP bus 77MHZ is a problem....

Can you lower the bus, or better yet lock it at 66Mhz?

And chances are, the ram will need more hiuce once you go higher...

As was already stated, the MOBO is the heart and soul of overclocking....it means alot to have a good one, with plenty of BIOS options.....

What program do i get to tell me what my AGP/PCI bus is at??

I have run my P4 2.4 @3.0ghz 125FSB,PC-2100 @333mhz is thare a formula to figger this out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back