My CPU runs at 100% all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Inspiron 8200. My CPU runs at 100% all the time. I have installed new anti-virus, cleaned the registry and still no good. On my task manager it looks like svchost.exe is using most of the cpu. What di I do?

svchost.exe is a legit windows process. every instance of it is used for some application. you need to find which app is taking this svchost and using it. under the cpu column in task manager, click twice on cpu and see which svchost is using the most. kill it. then look at your startup (run/msgonfig) to see which process looks fishy. check the internet site (legit processes) for every entry that's in msconfig's start up.

You may get a prompt that your computer will restart in X amount of time. If you find that you are getting that prompt then you can stop the automatic restart by going to Start then open Run and type CMD then click OK. This will open your command prompt. Then type "shutdown -a" (without the quotation marks) and hit enter. This will stop the auto shutdown so that you can continue troubleshooting the issue from there.

Note: It shouldn't give you the automatic restart unless you kill one of the SYSTEM svchost.exe entries. If it does give you the prompt for a USER entry then this may be a lead to another problem like a certain application accessing system files from your user account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back