My Documents is gone

By uselesscyn
Aug 24, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, this is my first post here and i've screwed up big time! I don't have access to my documents anymore. When i click it, i get:
    c:\882bd8e2d791ad4ac5\update\My Documents is not accessible. Access is denied

I work on a dell laptop and have XP home edition; i am the only user and am the administrator. I have a file in my computer called 882bd8e2d791ad4ac5 and inside it a file called update and inside this update file there is my documents now, but i cant open it. Somehow, my docs has been moved there.

I have tried system restore but i don't seem to have any restore points and i can't create new ones. I have some of the data on cd and usb but some important files are lost now.

Is there a way to get the data back? Or to have access to My documents again?
    Thanks for helping
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,279   +280

access the C: drive

you should find a folder \Documents and Settings: open it

now you should see names for your users; there are several System names like
    All Users
    Administrator
    LocalService
    NetworService​
    Yours will be there too -- open it

This is your UserLoginProfile area and My Documents\ is located there
  3. uselesscyn

uselesscyn Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks, yes, i've got it. But there's only the documents after the incident happened. I can't get any of my older ones, are they recoverable? I've tried using Recuva and it says some of the files are overwritten, is there a way to "disentangle" them?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.