"my documents" problem - access denied!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

I just clean installed win2k SP3 over my existing XP pro installation and the only thing wrong is that I can no longer access "my documents" folder which I kept on another drive/partition.

It shows a folder size of "0 bytes" when I know it has at least 450mb worth of documents etc. I think it has something to do with the folder security being attached to the logon name and password i had on XP.

Can you help? Is it possible to access them another way and copy to another folder that Win2k can then access?

And once I figure it out with any help...would it make sense to convert the other drive I use for storage to FAT32 to eliminate further file security access problems?

an access denied message would indicate permission settings on an NTFS volume. If you right click the folder and choose properties and select the security tab, you should be able to change the permissions if you have logged on as an administrator.

It seems I also have to reset permission to each and every file and subfolder within "my documents" which i've done easier using Search to show all files contain there in.

Hello new to this forum.

Im having the same problem as you guys are describing, but cant get it solved. I tried this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881 and the instructions dont seem to match my windows.

Like this:
a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

I dont have a "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" checkbox for starters.

Then this:
Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Security tab

I dont have a "security tab"

Could this have something to do with service pack 2? This is very irritating :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back