My dog ate arctic silver 5

twite

Well, the title pretty much say's it. I left about half a tube of artic silver 5 on the ground after applying it on the cpu, my dog ate it, and for the last day and a half he has been making weird noises as if he is going to throw up...I really dont want to have to pay a 1000 dollar vet bill..especially because i don't see anything they could do about this. Is it poisneous? I know on thier website it says that humans should not conusme it..But what happens if you do? Just looking for opinions to figure out what i should do-thanks

I would take him to the vet. Here is the material safety data sheet.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/as5msds.pdf

Hope he's ok.... you might want to follow him around with a baggie to get the silver... just kidding....

I don't think it will hurt him seriously, but animal metabolisms are different from humans. He just might have an upset stomach for a little while. Try to force him to drink a lot of fluids..... for a few days to flush it out.

My dog once ate aluminum foil that had chicken grease in it. I had to mix petroleum jelly in her dog food in order for her to pass it without tearing her guts up. (This is what the vet told me to do.)

Thanks for the help Tedster..I think i will take him to the vet.He hasn't shown any physical signs of being sick..as he is still very energetic..but as i said he has a nasty cough/sneeze. He has been drinking alot of water lately..but im wondering if that will just hurt him more...as water and grease dont go to well together. When you get artic silver on your hands..water seems to just spread it around and make it worse. Once again i really appreciate your help.

Turns out he has parvo :( ...Hes at the vet right now and im staring at a $2000 vet bill. I told the vet about the artic silver and he said that it would have flushed out of his system by now, and has nothing to to with his sickness..just coinsidence. He is a puppy, so his chances are about 50-50.

Sorry about your dog mate,

at least he wont get a fever since he cant overheat!

No, really, I hope he pulls through and all the best.

Regards,

Korrupt

Aside from Argyria (which seems pretty harmless) that MSDS looks pretty safe. I'd say you don't need to take him to the vet. He may be coughing/wheezing/ect because it may have left a film along his mouth/throat that will go away over time. He should be ok. Call the vet if you are really concerned, but I don't think its worth spending money on.

Thanks for all your support..

SNGX, i agree that the silver probably won't do much, but now he has a virus called parvo that is caught from bacteria..such as sniffing other dogs feces..or as simple as eating a fly that was in his food bowl. It was just coincidence that he ate the silver and then developed this virus a couple day's later. Parvo is a very deadly disease in young pups, and if not treated, they will die from dehydration almost every time..as he doesnt even have enough energy to walk to his water bowl. He is the in the "pet hospital" right now until at least tommorow on a IV.

at least he wont get a fever since he cant overheat
Lol...i guess thats a good way to look at it

So sorry about your dog mate.

I used to have a Yellow Labrador, he died when I was 7, back legs gave out and he had to be put down.
My aunts 15 month old Labrador caught food poisoning last month, it was horrible, we had to carry him into the vet in his basket. HAd about 4 shots of painkiller/antibiotic

I really hope your dog pulls through and is okay

Isn't it amazing though, how dogs can Eat almost anything, any reader of 'Marley and Me' or dog owners know what I mean

Sorry to here about your loss. Its amazing how attached you can get to your pets. When i originally adopted this dog from my sister..to tell you the truth i didn't like it...It had to much energy. Now, he's away for a day, and im already missing him.

Isn't it amazing though, how dogs can Eat almost anything

O yes it is. It is absolutly unbeleviable how much and what this dog eats. It weighs 7 pounds and i swear it eats a pound of food a day..whether its the jam inbetween you toes..or in my case, artic silver

He is doing pretty good, he is back at home now, and ate for the first time in 3 days yesterday. He also has alot more energy. Looks good.

That's good news. I've been following this thread but had nothing constructive to add. The only experiences I've had was that ALL the dogs I've know who contracted parvo died. I didn't see any point in sharing that bad news but since your pup seems to have turned the corner, it's okay now.

It is my understanding that the parvo virus takes awhile to die (6 months maybe) so, although your pup is recovering and is building immunity, don't bring any other dogs into your yard or area for awhile because they could catch it.

Great News, Im glad he's getting better.
I hope he recovers quickly and is soon back to normal.

twite said:
He is doing pretty good, he is back at home now, and ate for the first time in 3 days yesterday. He also has alot more energy. Looks good.

That`s good news mate.

I`m glad he appears to be making a full recovery.

Regards Howard :)

Back