My dream since 3rd grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesmartidiot

i want to make a computer (tower) that will mount on the wall. i have ideas of the layout i want, the goodies in it i want, blah blah blah... but i am unsure of a few tech things (mostly power).

i will use the same componets as you would a normal case.. off the shelf power supply (i have a thermaltake 480w laying around)

first off, its about 2 or 3 years old, is it possible it dosent have the connections neccisary for a core 2 duo system?

well anyway, i will have the power supply mounted towards the bottom, rear facing down.

the mobo will be centered with it, only 1 foot up toward the top

im trying to decide wether to do the backbone (everything mounts to) out of metal or acrylic. im unsure if the board grounds through the case or through the psu harness. metal is cheaper and i could paint it for the effect i want. of course i would use risers just like a normal case, wouldnt want to short out my new board :p

now the board aside, everything will have normal mounts, im thinking shelving brakets for the cd's and hard drives.

will it hurt the hard drives if they are facing up? (looking at the top while it is on the wall) my sisters emachine has a drive mounted like that so i think it may work. (im thinkin 2 150 gb raptors)

the dvd drives.... i am looking into sata drives becuase i dont think i can make a 18 inch ribbon cable work, whereas 2 36 inch satas would work great, are sata burners hard to work with or what? ive only dealt with one sata hdd before.

im thinkin of having them mounted toward the lower corners. are they only allowed to lay one way or can i have them oppisite (left side button down, right side button up)

i want to make this hing glow, being clear and all. i want to do my own wiring (so it looks cleaner)

can i run 10 or so cathode tubes off 1 power supply cord? i would like to make a harness for these lights that run around the back plate, but plug into the power supply cord. (which would be shortened to maybe 6 inches)

i still want it to come apart as easy as a normal box

im just concerned with the power, i wont attempt it if it wont ground properly or somthing. but the other stuff i can work around

i will post a pic in a few so you can see what im saying, i wasnt going to because i dont want my design stolen lol

the main concern I would have with your design is heat build-up. You'll have to make sure there is a good cooling system in anything you design since one side will always be insulated by the wall it's hanging on.

Sounds like a cool idea however. Me, I want to make a tower out of Lego.

haha, that would be cool to try, i even have 8 buckets of those that have been in the closet for a good 8 years.

i dont think cooling will be too big of an issue. im going to put some lexan across the top to keep the dust out (and whatever else comes off the ceiling)

but im trying to decide if i should box it all in or leave the sides open. reguardless i will have 6 fans on the 1st layer of lexan pusing air in, and 2 or 4 on the side pulling air out.

i would want most of the fans on a switch or control, so then they wouldnt be full blast full time, only when im rendering 3d stuff or a movie from premiere

oh, and the wall dosent insulate it, it will have 4 posts that will hold it a good 3 inches away from the wall, so i can run cables behind it. i could sneak a fan or 2 back there also

with all the fans, the parts come to 70 bucks. pretty sweet setup considering cases are 150 just to get aluminum with a window...

Interestingly enough, my dream in 3rd grade was to see a girl naked, but I wish you the best of luck none the less. Please post pictures of whatever you manage to build.

well for me that was 4th....

im going to try and weld up the back plate this weekend. i dont think the acrylic will be as easy to work with so i will do that later this week

i will post pics of my current a64 system parts in it when its done, doubt THEY will look good, but i cant start my core 2 duo system until i buy a transmission for my tbird.

lols, just imo, you might want to try putting both dvd burner on same side. going around this playform to load mulitple cd's might become a pain.

they would be right beside the monitors at easy reach for me. being 6 ft and all. i want the symmetrical look, besides on my current box i always use my benq dvd burner, never any of the other 3 lol. so i would probably always use the right side unless i had to burn 5 dvds in 10 minutes or somthing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back