My DVD-drives ignore my self-written dvds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 drives installed in my pc.
One is a cd/dvd-rw-drive (read+write) [drive D:\]
and the other one is an ordinary cd/dvd-drive (reader) [drive E:\]

Now to my problem:
reading cds is possible without problems in both drives, burning something with drive E: also shows no problems.
But if I want to read a dvd I wrote myself the drive shows no reaction, in opening the details in the context menue I see that the drive shows me a used space of 0 bytes, as if the drive is empty. This problem never occurs with original dvds, neither movies nor games.
The first drive (D: ) at least changes its name from "cd/dvd-rw-drive" to "cd-drive" and i can open the dvd (which nevertheless shows no data) whereas the second drive (E: ) does nothing. If I try to open the dvd I receive the error message "please insert disk in drive E:"

This problem has already occured before with drive D: sometimes, but since both drives are affected now it hit the critical point because I saved some data to make some room on my harddisk but can't access it now.

Please help me, someone

22Andy

What kind and brand of media did you use? was it DVD-R, DVD+R or DVDRW? if it was DVDRW did you finalize the disk after burning?

I used dvd+R for my backups (8xSpeed), but this dvds (of the same brand) have worked properly before, so I don't think that it's the dvd causing my problem.
Could it be that it's some kind of software problem? But I haven't changed anything at this time, that means, nothing installed, nothing deleted and nothing changed in the registry or the system configuration.

edit: ah, I see my drive E: has accepted my dvd :D, yippiee
but drive D: still ignores it

it could be a windows file system problem. you could try uninstalling the IDe channel the drives are on in device manager and reboot and windows will automaticallly reinstall the channel and the drives on start up.

hi again

I have found something strange:
WinAmp can cause this problem! When I was listening to music using winamp, I couldn't read the dvds, but later, after I had quit WinAmp all dvds were working properly.
I tested this a number of times and came to the end that it definitely WAS WinAmp making trouble.
Anyway, I don't have any clue why...

So if anyone happens to have the the same problem, be sure to check out your WinAmp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back