My First Overclock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanslayer

Hey guys,
I just over clocked my Athlon XP 2400 from 2GHz to 2.2GHz. I got Doom III to go from 46.9 fps to 53 fps, Unreal Tournament 2004 to go from 30.95 fps to 34.8 fps, and Far Cry to go from 29.31. My CPU temp went from 49-53C. Does this look good to you guys? I increased my clock from 133 to 148. Thanks.

spartanslayer said:
Hey guys,
I just over clocked my Athlon XP 2400 from 2GHz to 2.2GHz. I got Doom III to go from 46.9 fps to 53 fps, Unreal Tournament 2004 to go from 30.95 fps to 34.8 fps, and Far Cry to go from 29.31. My CPU temp went from 49-53C. Does this look good to you guys? I increased my clock from 133 to 148. Thanks.

That`s not bad mate.

Is your system running stable at that oc?

Just keep your eye on your temps for a while.

Regards Howard :)

1 error message isn't a really good thing mate.

I'd run the benchmark a few more times and see if the error comes up again. The last thing you want is for the comp to crash in the middle of a fierce fight (worse if you're winning, or have just lined up that headshot).

spartanslayer said:
I increased my clock from 133 to 148. Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean. With all the mobos i have been I always just increase the voltage and increase the CPU clock frequency

My proc is 2.01ghz

I increased it to what bios reads 250

and in windows it reads 2.51ghz :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

so then people. apart from the advantages of gaming what else does clocking give . i have a 2200+(ath) running at 1800mhz, what could it do for me? (not a gamer)

A good dose of voltage will cure many errors. 10% raise in Vcore is generaly considered acceptable. Memory may need more Vdimm or looser timings. A quick run of superPI will show memory problems, but it's much better to boot memtest86 and do one pass without errors before trying out windows. Then to be sure all is well run prime95 for a few hours. :stickout:

Votage and temps are the killers, you clock speed isen't. Don't be afraid to bump the FSB. The worst that happens is the you need to clear cmos and start over. :)

You may want to check this place out. I get the impression that overclocking is frowned on here. :confused:

Its not really frowned, they don't want to encourage people to overclock. Which is understandable, since there's the risk of damage if done incorrectly.

Overclocking shouldn't be done if you need stability or if the extra speed doesn't really matter.

I have seen most overclocking questions answered with links to other forums.
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=35322
That's with the stock cooler and a 350w PSU, 4ghz is stabe and runs 65c folding@home. I've been running it 3.75ghz 25/7 for lower temps.
I had my 3200+ Vinice to 290x10 but temps were too hot. I did not bother with the cpuz validator.
This screenie is the best my 3200+ did on my ASRock DualSATA2
https://www.techspot.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/993/size/big/cat/500/page/1
Beat my pi. :grinthumb

CrossFire851 said:
Just wondering what you mean??
spartanslayer said:
Yeah, I increased the CPU clock frequency from 133 to 148. That raised the speed by 200MHz.
what he refers to as the "clock frequency" is the FSB (front side bus). The multiplier is locked at 15. his stock settings were 133FSBx15M=2000MHz, he increased the FSB to 148, which gave him 148FSBx15=2200MHz

200MHz is a weak overclock, but not bad for that processor. Because the multiplier is locked at 15 it doesn't leave much room to overclock too much further than that.

When I used to run an AthlonXP system. I had my XP-M2500+ overclocked from 1.8GHz stock to 2.6GHz (225FSBx11.5M=2599MHz)(mobile XPs have unlocked multipliers), I water cool my rigs, so I don't know if I could have gone that high with only air cooling. If you want to start overclocking athlonXP systems, the XP-M2500+ and XP-M2600+ are the best overclocking XPs ever made.

Thanks Cody. The max that my FSB will let me set is 168. Do you think I could do that? Thanks all of you guys!

Also, I have 2x 512MB kingston sticks at 2700. Is it safe with these sticks? Thans again.

You might want to decrease your frequency on your ram, because the frequency also increases so you will still be running you ram faster then normal. Another thing you should do is increase the votage on ram, cpu, and videocard, just a hair.

Best of Luck...

You need to use a divider. Some setting in the BIOS, now it's 1:1 or DDR266 or 133mhz. You may be able to change it to DDR200 or 100mhz for 5:4 CPU to RAM. If you look at my screenie my memory is 5:4.

With DDR400 you would be able to do 1:1 to atleast 200mhz. Both of my overclocks I showed have DDR500, set at DDR333(or 166mhz) in BIOS.

Some memory reacts good to voltage, some do not. The frist thing you need to know is how fast the memory will let you go with what timings and voltage. If you lower the CPU multiplyer and raise the FSB untill you get errors in memtest you will now the max. Then you can increase the timings and try again. I would not go over 2.7v on Vdimm with normal ram.

I dont know anything about the BIOS on your mobo. Sometimes different BIOS versions have different setting on the same mobo. Another one may have higher FSB settings.

Those 2700 sticks can take a lot of beating, I wouldn't worry about it till the comp is unstable.

I used to have those in my system, and they overclock very fine. I easily did 220mhz on those. no heatspreader, nor increase in VDimm. Those are the kingston Value Ram modules.

spartanslayer said:
The max that my FSB will let me set is 168. Do you think I could do that?
I doubt you can go much further than you are already at. your locked multiplier of 15 is very high, your processor is probably maxed out now as it is. If you were able to lower your multi, then you would probably be able to push your FSB higher (increasing the FSB and lowering the multi is where the real performance gains are, not clock speed)

spartanslayer said:
Also, I have 2x 512MB kingston sticks at 2700. Is it safe with these sticks? Thans again.
only one way to find out.... go for it :)

generally speaking... overclocking is safe (worst case senario, you have to clear CMOS and back down your overclock), its when you start to increase voltage (especially to RAM sticks) where the possible hardware failure lies. if you overlclock but it wont stay stable.. you can try to increase the voltage in small increments to see if that stabilizes it, you just have to relize that if you go too high, you can cook your hardware. every component has a different overclocking potential and voltage tolerance

P.S. i'm guessing based on your name that you are a Halo fan (I am too :) ), you're gonna have to upgrade that system soon if you want to be able to play Halo2 for PC when they release it

It viods warentys, woopie. It may shorten life. Woopie, I mean it will last 10 years not 12. Tryed usesing a 12 year old cpu today? I say take it as far as is will go(stable,) and back off one tick. It's like getting free power! :D

http://www.pcpitstop.com/news/maxpc/overclock.asp
Every computer I have up is overclocked 20%~30% 24/7.

KindCody, thanks for your info. I'm a huge HALO fan! Have they said what the specs on HALO 2 for PC are yet? I'm hoping my system will run in with very low graphics! If not, I'll have to upgrade I guess :( . Thanks all!

No there are no specs released yet. But I can tell you this... you will need to upgrade more than just your video card. but don't do it yet...

Halo2PC will only be available for Windows Vista. Halo2PC will require directX10 compliant video card (DX10 will be exclusive to Vista). DX10 compliant video cards have not been released yet, and they will probably be PCI-Express only.

Basically you will need a new CPU, mobo, vid card, more RAM, new operating system. :)

I'm not looking forward to spending any more money either, but oh well. Hopefully all I have to upgrade is my vid card and add more RAM. I have a crappy vid card now, but I'm not going to upgrade it until the DX10 cards come out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back