My first post on a Macintosh

SNGX1275

As some of you know I recently bought a Powerbook. It came today.

Its actually a better Powerbook than what I ordered. What happened was I ordered it from MacMall because I could get it cheaper from them than Apple even with Apple's educational discount (because of tax). When I ordered it I was told it was in stock. 5 days later I find out it wasn't actually in stock, and was "backordered". As it turns out Apple discontinued the one I wanted to buy and MacMall had just sold the last one they had in stock just before I bought mine (close enough that it still showed in stock to them). So I ended up getting the faster processor, and the superdrive. I ordered it with a 1.5 G4 and a $40 upgrade (with rebate) to 1.5 gigs of ram and the combo drive. I got a 1.67 G4 with the superdrive and still got to keep the 1.5 gigs of ram.

Edit: Oh also its supposed to have a screen that will do a higher resolution. I haven't played around on it long enough to know for sure, plus I don't know much on how these things work, I haven't used a Mac since MacOS 8.5

1.5GB of Ram ? Nice, MacOS must feel quite comfy there. ;)

Now post your desktop right away!

I don't know much on how these things work, I haven't used a Mac since MacOS 8.5​
On OS X 10.*, all the Control Panel stuff is now consolidated under the Apple->System Preferneces. literally ALL, unless you dive into the FreeBSD underpinnings via the Utilities->Terminal to get the Unix-like Command line prompt.

btw: did it ship with Tiger (10.4) or Panther (10.3)?

It seems pretty good so far, I still haven't had too much time to really play with it. I will this weekend. I do miss the right click... But it is almost canceled by the ultra awesome 2 finger on the trackpad at once to scroll.

It came with Tiger installed.

i saw the title...i'm so sorry ;)

seriously though, how is it? are you going to be doing any heavy stuff (images, videos, music work)?

zephead said:
i saw the title...i'm so sorry ;)

seriously though, how is it? are you going to be doing any heavy stuff (images, videos, music work)?
Its nice, and has some pretty sweet features that I haven't seen on PC laptops (but they may exist). Like a screen that changes brightness based on the ambient light, also the keyboard is backlit if the ambient light conditions are low enough. The trackpad will scroll if you use 2 fingers on it rather than 1 (1 moves the cursor like normal). It also pulls the heads of the hd if it senses a drop (I do know some PC laptops have that feature).

As far as doing "heavy" stuff, no, perhaps some light video editing like removing commercials from recorded television (because I haven't mastered that on a PC yet, and Apple's programs are supposed to be really user friendly).

Awesome!!

I wonder how well the battery will perfom compared to pc laptops,
what with all that power ie; back light keyboard and all.

It seems to me, the programs we (pc users) can thank mac for, are very user friendly. I would think in it's native enviroment they should rawk!

What about bluetooth or the = ?

Yeh, its got bluetooth. As far as battery, you can change its power management just like in Windows.

SNGX1275 said:
I do miss the right click... But it is almost canceled by the ultra awesome 2 finger on the trackpad at once to scroll.
For web pages, hold the mouse down --> just like right click, you get the menu :grinthumb
the <cmd>click pair sometimes gives different results too.

Yep, but then I'd need a surface to use that mouse on wouldn't I? :p Might as well use a desktop then.

Didou said:
Isn't it possible to hook up a 2/3 button mouse via USB ?
I've see this done on Mac systems prior to OS X, but as yet not on OS X itself. Recall OS X is entirely new and has a FreeBSD architecture.

hum; guest my wife got cheated when her eMac came with the one button!

Didou said:
Email Apple & ask for the extra buttons to be sent via snail-mail. :p
With only ONE button, I don't have to explain 'the other choices' :giddy:

Back