My first post on a Macintosh

By SNGX1275
Oct 27, 2005
Post New Reply
  1. As some of you know I recently bought a Powerbook. It came today.

Its actually a better Powerbook than what I ordered. What happened was I ordered it from MacMall because I could get it cheaper from them than Apple even with Apple's educational discount (because of tax). When I ordered it I was told it was in stock. 5 days later I find out it wasn't actually in stock, and was "backordered". As it turns out Apple discontinued the one I wanted to buy and MacMall had just sold the last one they had in stock just before I bought mine (close enough that it still showed in stock to them). So I ended up getting the faster processor, and the superdrive. I ordered it with a 1.5 G4 and a $40 upgrade (with rebate) to 1.5 gigs of ram and the combo drive. I got a 1.67 G4 with the superdrive and still got to keep the 1.5 gigs of ram.

Edit: Oh also its supposed to have a screen that will do a higher resolution. I haven't played around on it long enough to know for sure, plus I don't know much on how these things work, I haven't used a Mac since MacOS 8.5
  2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

1.5GB of Ram ? Nice, MacOS must feel quite comfy there. ;)

Now post your desktop right away!
  3. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Congrats!
    Sounds like a sweet deal.

Now, how do you like the new system?
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,342   +296

I don't know much on how these things work, I haven't used a Mac since MacOS 8.5​
    On OS X 10.*, all the Control Panel stuff is now consolidated under the Apple->System Preferneces. literally ALL, unless you dive into the FreeBSD underpinnings via the Utilities->Terminal to get the Unix-like Command line prompt.

btw: did it ship with Tiger (10.4) or Panther (10.3)?
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Topic Starter Posts: 12,463   +289

It seems pretty good so far, I still haven't had too much time to really play with it. I will this weekend. I do miss the right click... But it is almost canceled by the ultra awesome 2 finger on the trackpad at once to scroll.

It came with Tiger installed.
  6. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i saw the title...i'm so sorry ;)

seriously though, how is it? are you going to be doing any heavy stuff (images, videos, music work)?
  7. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Nice one. I fancy one of those myself. Oh, how Macs have changed.
  8. SNGX1275

Its nice, and has some pretty sweet features that I haven't seen on PC laptops (but they may exist). Like a screen that changes brightness based on the ambient light, also the keyboard is backlit if the ambient light conditions are low enough. The trackpad will scroll if you use 2 fingers on it rather than 1 (1 moves the cursor like normal). It also pulls the heads of the hd if it senses a drop (I do know some PC laptops have that feature).

As far as doing "heavy" stuff, no, perhaps some light video editing like removing commercials from recorded television (because I haven't mastered that on a PC yet, and Apple's programs are supposed to be really user friendly).
  9. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

Awesome!!

I wonder how well the battery will perfom compared to pc laptops,
    what with all that power ie; back light keyboard and all.

It seems to me, the programs we (pc users) can thank mac for, are very user friendly. I would think in it's native enviroment they should rawk!

What about bluetooth or the = ?
  10. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Better.

Bluetooth works, "="-key works as well.

(I'm posting this from iBook)
  11. SNGX1275

Yeh, its got bluetooth. As far as battery, you can change its power management just like in Windows.

12. jobeard

For web pages, hold the mouse down --> just like right click, you get the menu :grinthumb
    the <cmd>click pair sometimes gives different results too.
  13. Didou

Isn't it possible to hook up a 2/3 button mouse via USB ?
  14. SNGX1275

Yep, but then I'd need a surface to use that mouse on wouldn't I? :p Might as well use a desktop then.
  15. jobeard

I've see this done on Mac systems prior to OS X, but as yet not on OS X itself. Recall OS X is entirely new and has a FreeBSD architecture.
  16. Mictlantecuhtli

Of course rodents with more than one button work, Apple doesn't even sell one-button mice anymore. It's all Mighty now.
  17. jobeard

hum; guest my wife got cheated when her eMac came with the one button!
  18. Didou

Email Apple & ask for the extra buttons to be sent via snail-mail. :p
  19. jobeard

With only ONE button, I don't have to explain 'the other choices' :giddy:
  20. Mictlantecuhtli

21. jobeard

Nov, 2004 :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.