My first video game, HOLY CROW !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbieler47

I've gotten my first video game and it just blew me away F.E.A.R., I never knew how sophisticated the games had gotten, I'm a Nintendo, oldster, Just had a time collecting mushrooms, and now the experience of playing a game that is SOOOOO realistic, boggles my mind. Of course I got killed in the first 30 seconds, but it was so intense an experience, with all the audio effects and the mindblowing video, NOW I see why gaming is such an addicting sport.
I'm going to search for more games to play, any suggestions, or is that a bad question?
I did the test for how fast it runs and I don't know what fast is but this has a lot of fps's, are there similar games to this one? What are the proper fps ratings I am looking for?
I'm soooo excited, sorry for the ravings

Must play games (in a few different categories so you can experience them all)

-Half Life 2 (www.steampowered.com) you can buy it online.
-Age of Empires III
-Need for Speed series
-Civilizations
-America's Army - this is an online team based game. It's free, and it'll also blow you away.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

I remember when I first was hooked. It was Age of Empires that got me, then Half Life came along. Oh those were the days!

FPS on FEAR

I guess this is not a computer, it's a rocket ship, with all the things turned on in FEAR the test says min fps 68 avg fps 126 and max fps 339, wow, all that with my memory problems, go figure.
I ordered all those games you suggested, I will be busy for a long time,, thank you for your help

i dont know about this but have you tried playing Wolrd of Warcraft... its still the best selling PC of the year..

beware though world of warcraft has a habit of making people lose their jobs and their families lol

harrisdurrani said:
i dont know about this but have you tried playing Wolrd of Warcraft... its still the best selling PC of the year..

beware though world of warcraft has a habit of making people lose their jobs and their families lol

I already ordered it last night, I look forward to gaming as my new hobby. No family, retired. Just me and my computer lol

I liked FEAR a lot. Half-Life 2 was the reason I built a new game machine. That game is beautiful.

FEAR is an intense, first person action/shooter game.

Other modern games of the first-person shooter genre include:
- Half Life2 (as already mentioned)
- Far Cry (a lot of outdoors with scenic environments)
- Quake4
- Doom3 (older game, but a ton of good shooting fun)

If you have broadband/internet and want to play team-based
- Battlefield2

FEAR is pretty hard to beat as far as it's AI and computer player challenge. Far Cry I'd say is a close second if you're looking for good graphics and fairly smart enemies.

Ordered them all last night, but I need plenty of practice, I don't have the foggiest idea what I am doing, but when I shoot someone they stay shot cause I shoot them twenty times just to make sure. I have a life expectancy of about 2 minutes so far, but it should get better with more practice
Thank you for your suggestions.
Even went out today and bought myself a real laser mouse, the one with the ball had just about given up

American's Army is free you serious?

Have you guys considering the Battlefield 2? Very awesome multiplayer experiences and graphics.

bushwhacker said:
American's Army is free you serious?

Have you guys considering the Battlefield 2? Very awesome multiplayer experiences and graphics.

yep its free !!! go to there website. :mad: i forgot wat it was lol. Do a google search. :cool: Im donloadin it right now!!cant wait, here in california its 11.38,hopefully i can fit it it tonight

You started off with one of the best first person shooters out there - so it's going to be pretty difficult to beat. There have been several really good suggestions made so far, but I'd really like to know what genres really interest you. Real life interests usually translate pretty well :)

Must buy games

Half life 2- brilliant graphics and gameplay and comes with a brilliant online game counter strike source

Chronicles of riddick- graphics similar to doom 3, really fun game were you have to escape a prison.

Fear- best graphics and ai of any game ive seen. Multiplayer is fun aswell.

Battlefield 2- one of the best online games you can buy, huge maps with good graphics

Doom 3- Good graphics and simple shoot at anything that moves gameplay which works well with the great atmosphere.

Call of duty 2- One of the best WW2 games

And thats it :slurp:

I received all of the games you suggested yesterday, I ordered a bunch of them. The only unfortunate part of this is that now that I have been exposed to all of this wonder, I want my computer to go faster, not satisfied with the way it runs, I have to over-clock it. already started and it is getting there.
In between tweaking more speed, I still run FEAR and STILL get killed in the first five minutes, Better than yesterday

I was drafted into the army, don't know if I want to talk to them, even 40 years later.....lol
I'll go there now and see what they have for me, thanks for the suggestion

fbieler47 said:
I was drafted into the army, don't know if I want to talk to them, even 40 years later.....lol

ROFL! At least you made it back!

I now have a large selection of video games to choose from. The only unfortunate problem is now I am not happy with my computers speed.
Playing games seems to cut into my " research on MORE speed" activities. What have I gotten myself into???? Time will tell.
In your earlier post you espoused the notion that real life experiences should lead to a selection of games in a certain genre. I can relate, the thrill of first person shooters takes on a totally different meaning when you have really been in combat, as does the thrill of paintball. It is sooooo different to me now that the realism has evolved to the state that it is in now. I actually scare myself, get cold sweats, and really feel the adrenaline pumping through me.And this is just a game. Wow I don't know if I can survive the next generation of games and graphics. This is surely a fun thing for me.
All the people on all of these forums are so helpful and I have had tons of help in what defines a good games to have.
A new door has opened for me and I don't know if it is the door with the tiger, or not. I will just have to see.

fbieler47 said:
I received all of the games you suggested yesterday, I ordered a bunch of them. The only unfortunate part of this is that now that I have been exposed to all of this wonder, I want my computer to go faster, not satisfied with the way it runs, I have to over-clock it. already started and it is getting there.
In between tweaking more speed, I still run FEAR and STILL get killed in the first five minutes, Better than yesterday

Ha! Welcome to the gaming (semi)sub-culture!

You do have a pretty ripping computer, you must have paid top dollar for it. Getting that kind of performance in FEAR doesn't come easy... Although I have a feeling your resolution may be a little low.

I hope you're aware of the slow motion function in FEAR, I have 10yrs+ of experience in fps, and I'd still get murdered in fear without using slow mo in certain situations.

As for recommending games, I want to know a little more about you first, before I start listing games.

Do you have broadband? (Cable or DSL) Do you have a joystick?

Are you interested in only shooters? Would you enjoy strategy? simulation?

Where do your other interests lie? Do you like drama? sci-fi? action?

Battlefield 2 is great, and it sounds like you're financially secure, so I say the experience is incomplete without a joystick for flying the choppers and jets.

Half life 2 is another must, sounds like you already got that, it's also a better game to cut your fps teeth on, as its a little more forgiving then FEAR.

My personal picks right now are: (These all have a home on my Harddrive)

Battlefield 2 (team based[16-32ppl per team] in huge environments, with mid 90s era military hardware)
Counterstrike Source (squad based[5-10ppl] first person shooter - online)
Galactic Civilizations 2 (turn based space strategy sim, good AI, lots of different techs)
Civilization 4 - (remake of a classic from the early 90s, turn based strategy)
The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (not out yet, but just trust me, preorder it, its out on the 20th)

I have broadband, have a joystick, don't have time anymore, or patience for strategy, just want to KILL,KILL,KILL.....sorry...
OK I'm better now
I am not financially secure, actually I'm quite poor, I won the computer and some software and monitor in a Raffle. Go figure.
I do like FPS's, don't like getting my teammates wiped out from my ineptitude in team playing.
I am an avid reader of Sci-Fi, and have been for years, even before computers. I do have my pilots license still so flying is relatively easy for me, mostly from the RC planes I had, good hand-eye coordination in that sport, and sort of like gaming, now that I think about it, little mistakes can be really expensive lol. So I will try to stay alive as long as possible, using slo-mo, probably get me a few minutes of life more than I have been getting. Thank you for the info

fbieler47 said:
I have broadband, have a joystick, don't have time anymore, or patience for strategy, just want to KILL,KILL,KILL.....sorry...
OK I'm better now
I am not financially secure, actually I'm quite poor, I won the computer and some software and monitor in a Raffle. Go figure.
I do like FPS's, don't like getting my teammates wiped out from my ineptitude in team playing.
I am an avid reader of Sci-Fi, and have been for years, even before computers. I do have my pilots license still so flying is relatively easy for me, mostly from the RC planes I had, good hand-eye coordination in that sport, and sort of like gaming, now that I think about it, little mistakes can be really expensive lol. So I will try to stay alive as long as possible, using slo-mo, probably get me a few minutes of life more than I have been getting. Thank you for the info

If there is one thing about BF2 and FPS multiplayer in general, is that there is always someone more inept then you on your team... BF2 is a fantastic experience, and if you take the time to set up the helo controls properly, it's a very satisfying 'flight sim light' but with guns, allowing you to KILL KILL KILL, lol...

If strategy isn't your thing, thats cool, but that should stop you from rushing out and buying games like civ4, galciv2 and all the other myriad RTS's that are on the market...

Battlefield 2 sounds right up your alley, I think that should be your next purchase for sure...

Also, The Elder Scrolls Oblivion htis store shelves in a week and a bit (the 20th) and I'm recommending that game to everyone and their mother... It will have (hopefully) the most intricate AI to date, also, it has lots of killing, so you should be appeased in that regard as well.

Anything else we can help you with? (If you got an alienware you shouldn't really be upgrading, as its a warrnty voider, plus an Alienware rig that pulls those kind of numbers from FEAR is probably unupgradeable for a while, it likely has the best of everything)

Just looked at the new ALX for gaming 4, count 'em 4 7900's in a quad sli configuration.
I'm waiting for The alienware people to bring me a mew Mobo and Processor, 'cause this one is bad, maybe I can work out a deal????
Ordered Battlefield two yesterday, might have it for the weekend, I hope. Can you shoot people on your own side? Years ago I passed up the opportunity to Frag a Lieutenant when I had the chance.
I think Moore's law is going to put me in the poor house.
Oh and funny you should recommend elder scrools, out on the 20th, that's my mothers birthday, maybe I can get it for her. lol

fbieler47 said:
Just looked at the new ALX for gaming 4, count 'em 4 7900's in a quad sli configuration.
I'm waiting for The alienware people to bring me a mew Mobo and Processor, 'cause this one is bad, maybe I can work out a deal????
Ordered Battlefield two yesterday, might have it for the weekend, I hope. Can you shoot people on your own side? Years ago I passed up the opportunity to Frag a Lieutenant when I had the chance.
I think Moore's law is going to put me in the poor house.
Oh and funny you should recommend elder scrools, out on the 20th, that's my mothers birthday, maybe I can get it for her. lol

Oh man, I just ordered one 7900 GTX (XXX Extreme Edition from XFX) today, and I can feel the burn in my wallet. I think that 4 is overkill, especially with the directx 10 and shader model 4 on the distant horizon...

The trick to surviving moores law without facing bankruptcy (at least for me is) I escrow about 50-75 bucks a paycheque into an account, and as soon as I find a game that won't run at max detail at my monitors native res, I empty the escrow account and go to near top of the line, or top of the line (depending on if the top of the line is resonable like the 7900, or out of the park, like the 7800GTX 512)

I take whatever is leftover, invest in my RRSP (canadian version of 401k) and then start all over again. Not only do I almost always max out my RRSP contributions on my upgrade year (tax writeoff ++) but I always have a sweet gaming rig.

Of course, your mileage may vary. High end gamers like us (i.e. budget minded) need to pick our battles, for me at least, Quad SLI is not a battle I care to fight.

Edit: Oh and on Friendly Fire servers, you can frag your teammates, generally it's frowned upon, much like in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back