My first video game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
Quite a while I’m working on my product “Poppy and Rose” which you can download it here: http://www.download.com/Poppy-And-Rose/3000-2111_4-10638405.html?tag=lst-0-3
The game is made in the program language Delphi 6 and I hope that it will take your attention.
Please, after you try the game and study it a little bit, if you can answer the following questions:
- How can I find a video game tester, the best case is that to be some volunteer who will test the game and it will give me critics about the game.
- How is your opinion for the essential value of the game?
- What do you think about the UI of the game (it is made in Delphi 6), can I make it better and can I get some suggestions of how can I do that?
- In which category will you put this game (maybe puzzle!)?
- Is there any company that in cooperation with me can commercialize the game?
- I think that playing on this video game in network can be a real challenge! Do you think same?

Thank you,
Janev Blagoj

Hi Janev,
I tried your game out and it looks very cool for an introductory programming exercise. Nice work. :)

For the questions:
1) QA/Testing: If you're not looking to pay someone, you'll need volunteers. There are many forums where you can find people willing to play/test your games as well as newsgroups.
2) It's an interesting, albeit simplistic, game. It's more of a programming exercise than an actual game as "guess the number" style things are exercises in learning how to program.
3) UI for the game is functional, but can always be improved. As you're using Delphi, your options may be limited. You may wish to consider expanding into other environments/languages as these will remove many limits.
4) Hard to categorize this "game"- I'd say it does fall into "puzzle"..
5) Software distributors are always looking for new games. Yahoo, Steam and others. I'm not sure if this style game would get a lot of attention from the commercial circuit though.
6) Not sure what you mean by playing the game on a network. Do you mean expanding the game for multiplayer?

You may wish to consider .NET as a programming platform if you wish to design Windows games. You can choose J++, C++, C# or even Visual Basic and Microsoft has Visual Studio Express versions you can download for *free* for individual use, DirectX/Direct3D SDK for free for adding fancy graphics/sound, as well as the PSDK (Platform SDK) for Windows functions. From these free tools, you can start getting your feet wet in larger scale programming languages, and also leverage many nice API's of functions that Microsoft has provided to help you design fancy games. Microsoft also includes tons and tons of example programs with the DirectX SDK.. free!

As you've shown great aptitude and drive towards programming, you should consider moving up to the next level. Visual Studio Express with either C# or VB would be a good direction, and you can then start learning about serious graphics, sound and programming. :)

what a wonderful and motivation speech sharkfood! After reading all that, i wanna be a programmer too! but i heard its really hard to learn profession :l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back