My geforce 5500 fx 256mb does not fit in my computer, wut do i do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpatel

I jsut boughta geforce 5500 fx 256mb graphic card but it does not fit in my comptuer when i put it in. does anyone know why?? am i suppose 2 get one that fits?lol, i just thoguht any of the cards could fit.

Need more Imput

kpatel said:
i just thoguht any of the cards could fit.
They will with big enuff hammer LoL! :haha: JK
What is the brand name geforce 5500 fx 256mb? (msi,bfg,gigabyte etc.)
What type of MoBo are you putting this on?
It seems this video adapter comes in various forms ie: pci/agp .
G'Luck

BtW
Welcome to TechSpot!! :wave:

Hmm. Without knowing the exact card or your computers specs, I'd guess that you got an agp video card, but you have a pc that doesn't have an agp slot. It happens all the time. The reason is the mfg/builder is cheap, and won't spend $5 more to get a motherboard with an agp slot, but they don't care as long as people buy them. If that's the case, then you'd either need to get a pci video card(5500's come in pci, as do 5700le's), or get a new motherboard, which is expensive, and somewhat of a pain to switch.

The second possibility is that you have a really new system with a pci-e slot, and you got an agp card, but that's more unlikely to happen, as pci-e is newer.

Pci slots are usually white, do you have any other slots beside pci? Graphics slots usually are above the pci slots.

ohhhhh

ohhh, well i bought the geforce 5500 fx 256 MB apg card, and i dont know which color the slot is,lol, but i dotn have any more slots, i just got one slot, i got a pretty sucky computer, its a compaq, wit intel 4, and its windows xp. but the i dont know if i should return the apg card and get a pci, or is there a different size apg card???

thx u 2....

thx for the welcoming socrates, and thx for the help, i dont know wut motherboard i have though, lol im not so bright wit my computer, and thx vnf4ultra for ur help, i think ur right. umm i dont see any other slots below the graphic card slot, though there is this other thing where it has a slot right below the graphic card slot thats at the end of the computer that has a card goin into it but i dont know wut its for, its all the way on the end and is kinda below the graphic card slot.

so should i return this apg card and look for a pci one??

Ok, I'm attaching a picture of a motherboard that has an agp slot, and 3 pci slots, so you can see what they look like. The agp is green (on my board, sometimes they're brown/black).

If you have a longer slot that doesn't look like either pci(white usually), or agp, then you may have pci-express.

If you can't figure it out still you could dl everest home edition, and look in the graphics/display area. It should say what you have, along with a ton of other info.
http://www.lavalys.com/

Attachments

• slots2.jpg
    slots2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 37
ohhh well i looked at my computer again, and it dont got any white slots, its only got 1 slot, and its got a green thing around teh slot to keep the card in place, u know wut im talkin about? but this is the info from the everest home edition thing, it says pci, so that means i got pci right??

Field Value
Graphics Processor Properties
Video Adapter nVIDIA Vanta
GPU Code Name NV5
PCI Device 10DE / 002C
Process Technology 0.25u
Bus Type AGP 4x
Memory Size 16 MB
GPU Clock 100 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 250 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 2
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders Not Supported
Pixel Shaders Not Supported
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v6.0
Pixel Fillrate 200 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 200 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type SDR
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 125 MHz
Effective Clock 125 MHz
Bandwidth 1000 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer
Company Name NVIDIA Corporation
Product Information http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products
Driver Download http://www.nvidia.com/drivers

i jsut started loookin through my other stuff on everest and i found this, i dontk now if it means anything, or if im just lookin at somethin i dont know anythign about......

Field Value
GPU Code Name NV5 (AGP 4x 10DE / 002C, Rev 15)
GPU Clock 100 MHz
Memory Clock 125 MHz

i dont know when it says gpu code name nv5, and then apg 4x 10de, does that mean my cards apg??,

k i know htis is kinda long reply, but i just found somethin else lol i dont know wut it means,lol but i keep gettin confused cuz parts of it say pci and parts of it say apg....

Field Value
Device Properties
Device Description nVIDIA Vanta Video Adapter
Bus Type AGP 4x
Bus / Device / Function 1 / 0 / 0
Device ID 10DE-002C
Subsystem ID 10DE-0072
Device Class 0300 (VGA Display Controller)
Revision 15
Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported, Disabled

Device Features
66 MHz Operation Supported
Bus Mastering Enabled

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Not Supported

Ok, it says, "interface: agp4x", which means you have agp, so your 5500, if it's agp should work. Hmm. I'm confused now.

Maybe you have agp and you got a pci card?

So you only have one slot total, and it's agp? I've never seen/heard of anything like that. Does your slot look like the agp slot in the pic I attached above(the green slot)?

Is your pc a small cube shaped case by chance, they have odd slot configurations?

yeah, well it hink i got a pci slot, i jsut didnt see it before i dont think, lol, but yeah i got a green slot in it, and i bought an agp card...and i dont gota tower comp, i got the small box type ones

Ok, you have a small form factor (sff) pc. Those usually have 1 agp and 1 pci. So, the card (which is agp?) still won't fit in the agp slot in the comp?

Do you know your pc's model number?

kpatel said:
GPU Code Name NV5 (AGP 4x 10DE / 002C, Rev 15)
GPU Clock 100 MHz
Memory Clock 125 MHz

Field Value
Device Properties
Bus Type AGP 4x
Device ID 10DE-002C
Subsystem ID 10DE-0072
Revision 15
AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Try this site "Unofficial e-machine help"
If I'm not mistaken, it could be that e-machine included on board agp or integrated video.
that he only has one pci slot for expansion.
I don't know how well the pci ver of geforce 5500 fx 256mb
will work compared to the agp ver.
e-machine model info will help determine what kind of expansion slot you have.

the card.

Try taking out the card in the green slot and see if your agp card fits in the slot then post a pic of your computer on here it would really help if we could see what it looks like.

Yeah the agp card still wont fit in its slot, when I put it in, it sticks out a little over the computer, its quite larger then my old one, im srry I cant show u a pciture, and I dont now the model number, but I got the serial number:Serial Number 6X27JYHZC04L, dat saem thign?lol, u can tell now I dont know jack squat about comps. id o got a little sticker on my computer that has some few numbers on it like produt key and stuff but thats of no help.

I found a picture of wut my computer looks like on the internet, this is same exact type of comptuer I got

Attachments

• compaq-evo-d510-sff.gif
    compaq-evo-d510-sff.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 24
Is the pc like this?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1386319&Sku=J156-3000
Maybe since it's sff, it has a low profile agp slot. That means the card can't be as tall as usual. Is that what you mean by it being to big? The metal bracket on the card would be too big if it is.

I found this in the specs on hp's site.
" 2 Half Length, Full Height PCI slots
1 Low Profile AGP"
for specs here.
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10946_div/10946_div.HTML
I think that might be your model, the sff version. It has a "low profile agp".

exactly like it

yeah thats same EXACT type of copmuter i got, and yeah its to tall, the metal bracket dont fit and the card it self rises above the computer like a half or 1 inch, cept acutally mines only came wit 128 mb and 18.6 gigs of space.lol

how ocme it says that its got 2 pci slots and 3 expansion slots but i cant see them on my computer??

oh snap, i just seen the expansion slots on the picture from ur website, lol it kinda loooks liek that on mines, wow im stupid that i ddint notice that.

Hmm. maybe it isn't the "exact" model, maybe newer or older or a higher or lower end model. Anyway it seems you just need a low profile card for agp 8x/4x and it should be ok.

I'm looking for one for you that's decent, so if I find one I'll post back.

yeah see heres the problem though, i cant order from online cuz im only 15, and my parents wont do it for me,lol, and my older bro, who knows alot of crap about computers said i didnt need one cuz i dont do anything wit it anywayz, but he dont know i play all these newer games, he still thinks i play my older ones that dont need that kinda graphic card. so i gotta resort to walmart or best buy or some store i can go to. :(

do u think bestbuy would have it or osmething??

I know what you mean, walmart(or your local electronics/office/tech store) may have it, but it'd be hard to tell, as the card is in the box and you can't usually see it.

I buy from newegg with a personal check(no credit cards), maybe you have a checking account, or could pay someone in exchange for a check for the same amount of money to buy a card?

Ok walmart has 2 (online at least) that appear to be low profile.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ype=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3964:132959:4467
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...ype=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:3964:132959:4467
The problem is even if the card is low profile, they might not include a low profile bracket with it(stupid I know). Plus neither is very fast, what do you currently have?

small form factor pcs

If all else fails trash that crapy small form factor pc(because they don't give any gamer what they need).

Go out and buy your self a desktop or tower with these specifications at least

Intel Pentium 4 2.8ghz or higher/ or Celeron 2.6ghz or higher.
at least 512Mb of either DDR or DDR2 ram never ever buy SDR(single data ram)ever.
by all means try to get a computer with a PCI-Express slot(x16 lanes), 1 or more PCI slots, and maybe an AGP 8x slot(not really needed anymore since PCI-express is out).
and for harddrive space try to get at least a 40gb SATA hard drive.
Make sure you have a couple of usb ports, a floppy disc drive, at least 2 5.25 inch drive bays for adding DVD-R/RW drive etc.

Make sure it has internal harddrive bays so you can add a new harddrive.
and try to get a firewire card installed if not its ok.

Buting a computer with these will help you out less crashing and frustration.

Make sure that the computer's ram can be upgraded.

Good luck :cool:

i dont know wut i got rite now...does this help?

Field Value
Device Properties
Bus Type AGP 4x
Device ID 10DE-002C
Subsystem ID 10DE-0072
Revision 15

Device Features
66 MHz Operation Supported
Bus Mastering Enabled

AGP Properties
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Not Supported

and bill gates, i dont got the money to go out and buy a nice computer, and my parents wouldnt let me anywayz, they think i get on the computer enough as it is

hey u know i mite do that, i can prob get my friend to order me one and i can pay him back when it comes in and all that crap. idk if he can though, but his dad loves gaming 2 so i hope he will do it for me, but if he cant i gotta go walmart or bestbuy and keep lookin for the card.

:giddy: dude, even if u do get one of the low profile cards, you still might have problems with the bracket not fitting. i dont know if u can get get a smaller bracket or something. you might have to make one yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back