My hard drive...caught fire...Can I retrieve the files?

By Eleventeen
Aug 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well.. ***** me was too impatient to wait for my computer to be shut off, so i decided to unplug all my 3 fans simultaneously ( wow, stupid ). I forget the reason I did it but oh well. Anyway, I turn around and smell smoke. Then I look inside my computer and my harddrive has flames coming out of it :hotbounce .
    So obviously I cant boot from it. But just wondering, can I possibly get these files retrieved? Or will that be a big waste of time :confused: . Looks like only a little black chip thing caught fire. Little chip, but big flame. Heres a Picture
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

If you find an identical hard drive then you can take the PCB from that and replace the burnt one on your drive. Some computer repair shops will do it for you too - they have better access to hard drives and can even order the one to take the circuit board from.
  3. Eleventeen

Eleventeen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 70

Sounds fun.. Ok ill do it hEAHHE :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.