My hard drive makes noise when turning off PC

zyxel

Hi all

I have recently put a new motherboard (asus M4A89GTD PRO) on my pc and, since then, everytime I shut down the pc, the HD makes a very strange sound, I will explain that with more details:

when I shut down the pc from windows, I get the "Shutting down" screen, everything is normal there, but some seconds later the HD Led turns on and the HD makes a very strange sound, that happens during a second or two, and after that, the sound stops and the pc turns off

EDIT: I forgot to say it: that noise sounds like the HD is revving very very fast... sounds like a disk turning very fast

It makes me feel that there is something wrong with my motherboard/OS/HD... What do you think? What can be the cause of that? is it a serious problem?

Hi,
I dont seem to understand the meaning of revving, would it be like when its too busy, that kind of a sound or something else.
Because if that's the case then it could be ok, plus is that a SATA or IDE disk/s...
I also think it could be Data caching, maybe look at you disk properties in your management console and see it you have a setting like this snapshot below...
diskproperties.png

Hi,
I dont seem to understand the meaning of revving, would it be like when its too busy, that kind of a sound or something else.
Because if that's the case then it could be ok, plus is that a SATA or IDE disk/s...
I also think it could be Data caching, maybe look at you disk properties in your management console and see it you have a setting like this snapshot below...
diskproperties.png

The sound is not exactly like when its too busy, (sorry I invented the "revving" word XD, my english level isnt too advanced and I dont know how to explain that) it sounds like a plate/disk spinning at a lot of RPM

I have seen it, and yes, I have it configured like in your screenshot... so it can mean that its ok? I can try to disable it and see if it still makes the noise

Ok we await for you response.
Guys i want you to know that am always away around this time because its GMT +3 here in East Africa...
So if i dont reply anyone's questions duing this time please excuse me on that

Ok we await for you response.
Guys i want you to know that am always away around this time because its GMT +3 here in East Africa...
So if i dont reply anyone's questions duing this time please excuse me on that

I have disabled the data caching, and it continues making that sound... What do you think?

PD: there is no problem if you dont answer a question during night. Anyway, I have GMT+1 (similar to yours)

Hi zyxel,
can you get specific about the sound?
Is it a clicking,high pitched whine, etc?
and how old is the HDD?
when you re assembled the machine did you fasten the HDD securely?
one more thing, did it just start doing this one day/? or is it a new drive?
okay I lied, one more. do you notice any discernible performance difference?

new interesting info: I have noticed that the sound doesnt come from the hard disk, but I have been tried to find the source of the sound with the pc case opened and I cant find that :S... so I think it can be all the PC fans accelerating during a second, (and, after that, the pc turns off)

The situation is a bit hard to explain (and I cant take a video) so I will try to explain it with as much details as possible:

When I turn off the pc from windows, the pc does all the shutting down process normally during a seconds (with the "Shutting down" screen), and after that, the screen goes black, the HD Led turns on, and I listen a sound like a fan running at a lot of speed (but it also can be the HD spinning at a lot of speed, thats why I though it was the HD). That happens during only a second, after that the pc finally turns off.

Because that sounds like all the fans accelerating a lot, I think that perhaps it can be a PSU issue and the PSU supplies more voltage than normal in the last second before turning off (if thats the case, that can seriously damage the computer :(). It also can be a motherboard issue, not?

PD: It happens since I installed a new mobo (Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3)

If it passes a diagnostic test like Seatools then I wouldn't be too concerned.
The HD passes all the Seatools tests (including DST Long)... But now I discovered that perhaps it isnt only a HD issue, so I'm worried anyway...

Hi zyxel,
can you get specific about the sound?
Is it a clicking,high pitched whine, etc?
and how old is the HDD?
when you re assembled the machine did you fasten the HDD securely?
one more thing, did it just start doing this one day/? or is it a new drive?
okay I lied, one more. do you notice any discernible performance difference?
The sound is like a fan running at full speed
The HDD is less than a year old
The HDD is fastened very well, because my case has an special system for that (its the coolermaster haf 912plus)
It does that since I installed the new motherboard
I didnt notice any perfomance difference

PD: As I said before, my english level isnt very advanced, and I dont know if I am writing properly, so please tell me if my messages are hard to understand

Thank you

Back