My internet hates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, I was playing Counter Strike: Source for quite a long period of time. I've had no problems with my internet connection until last night. Around 10-12, my internet starts giving me HUGE lag spikes. Now, I live in a 5 man house, with a WEP secured wireless network+ MAC filter, so usually when I get lag spikes like this, it's because of my roommates. Anyways, I check around the house to see that they're all sleeping, so I reboot my computer. After I reboot, to my horror, my internet connection has stopped. I can't load any web pages, connect to any servers, nil. So I took a few minutes in trying to identify the problem:

1. Changed the network card in my computer in case it was a hardware issue, still did not work. Not a hardware problem.
2. Used the same ethernet cable on another computer in the vicinity, and the internet worked. Not a cable problem.
3. Internet worked for everyone in the house, wireless and cabled. Not a router or ISP problem.

So I assumed it was a configuration problem in my computer. I tried using a wireless receiver via USB and it STILL did not pick up a signal. I tried readding my connection, but was stuck with a message saying that it was a problem in my configuration. Now, I'm stumped as to what to do and how to do it. I don't want to waste 100 bucks on a networking technician so I'm putting my trust onto you, TechSpot, to deliver me from my problem. Thanks in advance for everything and sorry if my English is not good.

Hi

Networking eh ? works great then it stops, bugger

Here's what I do

You seem quite savvy so remove TCP/IP and other things in the same list, then remove the network card from Device Manager.

Now shut the PC down and remove the NIC from the PC or if its onboard disable it on the BIOS,

Power on the PC and wait a few minutes whilst it settles down.

Now shut it down and replace the NIC, boot up the PC and let windows reinstall the missing bits.

That usually works for me.

Regards

I apologize for bothering you further, but how do I disable my TCP/IP in your first step? Thanks in advance and I'm really sorry.

Lately, my Timewarner Cable connection has degraded into oblivion!

Here's how I can tell using some simple tools in a command prompt window:
  1. first get the DNS address; ipconfig /all
  2. then perform a trivial ping $the-first-dns-address
    if you see timeouts, then there's problems between your NIC and the ISP DNS
  3. to locate the source of the problem, use pathping $the-first-dns-address
On (3), my routing is
Code:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  router [192.168.0.1]
  2    12 ms    10 ms     *     cpe-75-82-128-1.socal.res.rr.com [75.82.128.1]
  3    10 ms    10 ms     *     gig11-13.vntrca1-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.3.77]

4    11 ms    10 ms     *     76.167.3.149
  5    14 ms    14 ms     *     gig1-17.lsanca3-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.0]
  6    14 ms    14 ms     *     prt22.vnnyca2-rtr2.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.13]
  7    18 ms    18 ms     *     tge1-3-0.tustca1-rtr1.socal.rr.com [76.167.2.66]

8    19 ms    18 ms     *     POS1-0.ORNGCA4-GSR1.socal.rr.com [66.75.161.21]

9    29 ms    28 ms     *     GIG1-1.ORNGCA4-SWT1.socal.rr.com [66.75.161.9]
 10    22 ms    19 ms     *     dns-cac-lb-01.orange.rr.com [66.75.164.90]
if there's bad timings or timeouts between #1-#2, it's my link to the ISP and
it's time for some hardware testing. Otherwise, my link to the ISP is
just fine and the problem will be upstream from my gateway --
AND I CAN'T DO A THING except complain

lately, timeouts and lost packets have been occuring between #5-#6

last week, lost packets were occuring between level-3.LA and Dallas
(the host for T.S.) which is beyond the DNS noted above

I think what he is referring to is un-installing your NIC and rebooting. Then Windows will re-install the NIC and settings will all be refreshed.
To do this, Right-Click My Computer and select "Manage" - Device Manager - Find your NIC and un-install it. Then reboot.

Send said:
Please make your own topics. TY.
I think you misread my intent -- I was trying to lead you to differentiate between a problem on YOUR
system, the ISP, or just poor Internet connectivity in general. the process
noted will assist you in that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back