My laptop is being finicky again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the not-so-proud owner of a Toshiba M45-S355 laptop. It was given to me... 'nuff said.

Sometimes, my laptop will not recognize that I have a dvd-rom. I have no clue why.

It did this a couple of weeks ago and I didn't want to deal with it, so I turned it off and put it away. Last night, I turned it on for the first time since putting in 3 weeks and I had my DVD-Rom. Today I got home from work and opened it up and lo and behold, no DVD-Rom... again. :(

This happened before around Thanksgiving and I asked the girl who gave it to me if it did this before and she said that it did. She just dealt with it until it decided to come back. That day, it came back in 3 hours.

The drivers are up-to-date, there is nothing showing up as unknown in the device manager. That's all that I know how to check as I am not very technical.

Any help is very appreciated. Especially if it leads me back to playing The Sims 2. :D

Run REGEDIT, open up the following folders:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM
CurrentControlSet
Control
Class
{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

After clicking on {4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
"Upperfilters"
"Lowerfilters"

Click on each of them, press DELETE and click YES.

Rescan h/w in Device Manager

And restarted I hope.

Also sometimes it's a matter of re-connecting the drive (some laptops have the drive as easily removable (some don't)

Last option is a faulty drive. But you need to confirm BIOS is picking it up, ie not a Windows issue.
BIOS is theat key you press when you turn on the computer (DEL or F2 or someother that's stated on system startup)

Sorry I must step out, please try the above.

Regarding one of the regs missing that's ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back