TechSpot

my laptop keeps crashing

By hoplyn
Apr 14, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not sure if I am in the right forum but forgive and direct me. I have a HP laptop. It always seems to go to this blue screen with some kind of page error written on it but crashes so fast that I can't get the full message. It will reboot. It only does this when when my husband is in his login screen and then I switch it to my login screen. Also randomly if you are surfing the internet it will crash and reboot. Very frustrating especially I use this for some of my work.
    If anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem may be I'd greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Lynn
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

are you running XP home or XP pro? one thing to check is to see if any of your system files are damaged or missing for this you need a cd of the OS your running to be in your cd\dvd drive and then open a command prompt and type sfc /scannow this will run system file checker and replace any damaged or missing system files. you might also want to download memtest and check your memory.
  3. Sentry

Sentry TS Rookie

Or, if you have the cd, just pop it in, reboot and press any key to go into the setup, then hit the 'R' for repair.

If all else fails save everything and reformat/reinstall.
  4. robin_bga

robin_bga TS Rookie Posts: 258

that is right but u are missing something,there two kinds of repair,that is that manual one at de command prompt and that automatic one which comes after it detects that u have an os running,and that one is always that last one.so select that auto one.this is achieved by inserting the winxp cd and boot from it.otherwise remember that its necessary to try the first advise ISS have u.wish u luck.Robin
  5. hoplyn

hoplyn TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for all your help. I did the command prompt and ran a scan and came up missing a dll file. So far things seem to be running ok.
    hoplyn
  6. hoplyn

hoplyn TS Rookie Topic Starter

Still crashing

I'm back again. The blue screen said that I have a pagefault in a non-page area. Anyone know what that means? I guess I still have the same problem.
    hoplyn
  7. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

more often than not that is causedd by ram issues, you probably have a ram module that is going bad. download memtest and run it to check your ram.

http://www.memtest.org/
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.