My laptop screen is embarrassed

Cremaster

I bet someone got interested in the title! But it is true.

Several weeks ago I noted that the monitor on my laptop was funny looking. In the bottom left corner there was a red haze. Sort of like if when you use a graphics program and use the spray can tool. The red was transparent but there. It then grew larger from the corner that it started in but then either it stopped or I adjusted to it.

Last night I ran the TFC to clear my system of temps. I rebooted and computer booted up normaly. I was doing something else and when I checked the computer the screen was dark, like it had gone to sleep, no mouse cursor, no nothing. I hit the space bar and nothing. The hard drive light was glowing so I let it be for about 5 minutes or so. Then I turned it off with the power button and restarted it. The boot was normal and showed the desktop while it was loading everything up. I clicked on firefox and a second or two before it opened the screen went black. I then saw a very faint outline of the firefox pop up. It was very dark, actually just a bit lighter than the black screen. I might have missed it if I was not looking close. So the computer seems to be running with a very dark screen.

I shut it down and went to bed. This morning the screen looks fine and I am typing this on the involved computer.

There is no external adjustment to the brightness of the screen. I checked the settings and they are on default.

Do you think I have a monitor going out?

It is a Compaq Presario R3000.

If it is my monitor screen going out should I go new or used for a replacement?

I was going to hook up an external monitor if the problem was still there this morning but it is not. I think that that would have narrowed it down but I suspect the monitor.

What say you?

This is pretty common with laptop LCD's. Either the backlight is going or the electronics that drive the backlight is. External output will work fine at least in all the cases I've seen.

I seem to have had my screen go completely out now. I did get it to work long enough to set up an external monitor.

I have looked on several parts sites and looks like they are not that expensive. There seems to be plenty of "guides" with pictures and instructions to replace the screen.

The sites even with a complete model # list several screens of different types. How do I pick the correct one. That looks harder than the actual installation!!!!

Back