TechSpot

My laptop, Win 8 cannot open HTML files

By Anahita
Aug 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone,
    I tend to open an E-learning course on a disk which is HTML. I can open it on my pc and another laptop but with my hp laptop when I click on it, the internet explorer open and show the menu but when I click on each section, it does not work. I tried to open with Firefox and Chrome, they are even worse. They cannot even open the first page which has icons and menu. I uninstall chrome and firefox browsers but doesn't work.
    Please help
    Thanks
  2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,947   +900

The file should work in Internet explorer. What version of IE, Chrome, and FF are you using?
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,658   +82

Make sure that the https:// (secured pages) is not on make sure it's http:// (unsecured pages) You should get a free HTML viewer to views..
  4. Anahita

Anahita TS Rookie Topic Starter

The
    The IE version is 10 and I just install the ff and chrome today, the newest version from website.
  5. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,658   +82

When did this problem first started? Prior to this issue did these pages ever load right for you?
    Is Windows 8 update with updates?
    Have you tried another PC?
    Does what your trying to view work on other PCs including Windows 7 and Windows 8?
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,408   +314

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options -> Programs Tab
    At the bottom (Internet programs), click set programs button
    First item in the list is Set your default ...
    Click it and you get a list of registered programs,
    If you have multiple browsers installed, select your favorite on the left and then =>Set this program as default

This will associate all HTML files (on disk or via the web) with that browser.
    JC713 likes this.
  7. Anahita

Thank's for the answer, but I don't have any problem to change the default browser. My problem is that I cannot open it with any browser. I checked IE,FF and Chrome.
  8. Anahita

1-This is my husband's laptop and we've bought it less that 3 months and have not opened any HTML files before with it.
    2-No
    3- yes, in another PC there is not any problem, so there should be a setting or a problem with this specific laptop.
  9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,408   +314

Close all browsers and navigate to the folder containing one of your lessons.

now double click on any lesson - - WHICH browser is launched to view it?
    whichever browser is then running, it is your default browser.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.