My laptop wont power up

Status
Not open for further replies.
My laptop wont power up at all its a toshiba satellite psm40c . when i press the power button it does nothing at first then about 2 or 3 seconds after i push the button it powers on for about 4 seconds and then powers off if some can help me that be awsome

theatrain64 said:
My laptop wont power up at all its a toshiba satellite psm40c . when i press the power button it does nothing at first then about 2 or 3 seconds after i push the button it powers on for about 4 seconds and then powers off if some can help me that be awsome

Do you get any 'blinking lights' or sounds? Many laptop manufactuerers (including Toshiba) include some sort of visual code (Pattern of blinking LED lights, for example) during the first few seconds of startup which may hint at what the issue is. Sometimes Toshiba has included these LEDs inside the laptop, making it only accessible to the technician. Other times, there's been none at all... I don't know about the M40 series though.

There's a lot of things it could be, but some things that come to mind are indeed a malfunctioning battery (even when plugged in), failing memory (many laptops will turn off after detecting bad RAM), failing power supply and numerous electronics problems (including the board and processors).

well when it turns on for that brief few seconds the status light on the front for the battery being charged turns off but turns right back on after the comp dies and the light on the power switch does go on but that seems normal

I have a gateway m675, it doesnt cut on at all

I have a dead laptop. I hit the power button and get nothing in response. I put in a new hardrive for more space. I partioned it and put winxp pro on it, plus office 03, and adobe 6. after the install, i left it for approx 1wk. i come back, turn it on, and it got to the xp intro, where the bar is going across the bottom of the screen, and then it shuts completely down. I hit the power button and get no response. I check my power cord, and its still green on the connection end to the laptop, but still nothing. before it cut off, the battery seemed fine, the light was blue and not flashing, and on my old hardrive, win2k was on it. never did it tell me the battery was dying. I installed the old hardrive and still nothing. something is obviously broke or fried, but where to start looking is the question. any help would be grateful,
thxs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back