My legal win OS

Viraf P Chinoy

To: all members of Techspot

I've a legal win 8 pro (x64) license for my desktop which I'd migrated to win 8.1 from store when that was released. My PC is dual boot with main / 1st OS being win-10 Pro Insider & legal / 2nd OS being win810.

My main SSD is Samsung 500 GB on which I've installed 10586 build of win-10 (via .ISO file) about 1 week ago. This is as I'm a Windows Insider & I do all my testing / work on this SSD only. On the 2nd SSD (256 GB Plextor) is my legal win 810 (which indicates that 8.1 migrated to 10). When win-10 was released I migrated win 8.1 Pro using media creation tool to migrate this PC to win-10 Pro. The build here was 10240 & I use this windows only in exigencies / some times.

Just with the idea of updating the win-10 on 2nd SSD, I tried installing build 10586 (.ISO on DVD) onto this SSD so that build 10240 would get updated to 10586 but I faced errors & could not update it at all. On the "Updating windows" screen it would Hang-up at 23% & no option but to reset the PC at that point. Keyboard / mouse nothing works & I tried this twice but without success. Next I tried out updating this win-10 (10240) to build 10565 (again .ISO on DVD) & fortunately that worked without any probs.

In case anyone has faced similar probs & what is the solution pls revert to me in the matter.

Presently 2nd SSD has build 10565. I will again try updating 10565 to 10586 but dont know if it will work smoothly / without any probs??

Hope to hear from someone with a solution ASAP. Thanks in advance

Viraf P Chinoy

After reading your posts I'm glad I wasn't an insider for the W10 development program. I made painless upgrades from W7 and W8.1 at the end of July. You still seem to have problems to solve months later. Thanks for being one of the pioneers. I really like Windows 10.

Excuse me for being honest but your reply sounds sarcastic.
I'm very proud to be a windows insider& this problem has surfaced much after july-15 when win-10 was released.
Even though I am confident that migration to win-10 will work without probs I'm just hoping that I dont run into any probs at that time.

You're really lucky that 3 PCs migrated to win-10 without any probs. one of my friends whos is not a windows insider was able to migrate 3 of his PCs without probs but 4th PC is not yet migrated after at least 5-6 attempts.
Hence I was just trying to take feedback from guys like you in the matter. Thanks for your reply.

Excuse me for being honest but your reply sounds sarcastic.
Eh ? Maybe you are not a native English speaker, but may I assure you there is absolutely nothing in either the tone or wording of the post you complain about that indicates a sarcastic intent.

Back on the subject, maybe you missed the information that as of some recent Win10 update or other, you cannot go back to something or other earlier version. Sorry I can't quote the details, as like many others, I am studiously ignoring everything to do with Win 10 so far.

(edit) here is something 'The delivery of Version 1511 will be delayed if you migrated to Win10 less than 31 days ago. The original Win10 lets you roll back to Win7 or 8.1 within a month of upgrading to the new OS. Apparently, once you install Version 1511, the roll-back option is disabled. When your Win10 setup reaches its one-month anniversary, Fall Update should show up in Windows Update and be automatically installed.' (from Windows Secrets issue 506)

I hope this means something addressing your problem.

Last edited:
Sorry you didn't like my post. Is there no insider support for you from Microsoft? I did think of being a W10 Beta tester myself but worried that I'd end up out of my depth.

You should have known that windows insiders do have support system but it is by submitting feedback online. They've categorically informed us all that they'll accept feedback for problems / errors but will not be able to reply to all members individually. Whereas I'm very proud to be an IT professional with 30+ years background in BFSI segment I'm equally proud to be a Windows Insider. If you've confidence in yourself you can overcome any / all probs that you face in your life as well as IT or any career. You should / can not be out of depth.

Talking about my son's PC I've received the latest insider bulletin from Gabriel Aul of Microsoft HQ just yesterday, whereby I am hopeful that I'll be able to upgrade his PC from win7 Ultimate to WIn-10 Pro with little / no probs.

I'm very much an english speaker & I thought there was a tinge of sarcasm in your reply hence mentioned it. anyway lets get back to work.

Talking about my son's PC I've received the latest insider bulletin from Gabriel Aul of Microsoft HQ just yesterday, whereby I am hopeful that I'll be able to upgrade his PC from win7 Ultimate to WIn-10 Pro with little / no probs. Life is always a struggle in which sometimes we go thro easily & sometime with difficulty. That's a part of the game & should not crib about it. Will post a Final post after my son's PC is migrated to win-10 Pro in the next 2-3 days time.

Yes I'm trying to learn a second language though I'm nowhere close to your standard in English. The nuances of meaning are something I'm beginning to understand too. It's easy to say the wrong thing or be misunderstood. Ironic is how I'd describe your situation without wishing to be sarcastic. Any road up, good luck with the migration. It seems unlikely that Microsoft will leave you stranded after the work you've done for them.

Thanks for your good wishes as I really need them while migrating my son's PC. Thx
Yes I'm trying to learn a second language though I'm nowhere close to your standard in English. The nuances of meaning are something I'm beginning to understand too. It's easy to say the wrong thing or be misunderstood. Ironic is how I'd describe your situation without wishing to be sarcastic. Any road up, good luck with the migration. It seems unlikely that Microsoft will leave you stranded after the work you've done for them.

Regarding english speaking it is an art & is mastered over a period of time. Cannot be done overnight. It took me almost 10-15 years to write proper / perfect english. Speaking is no big Deal. all the best to you for the same.

Thank God, that migration of my son's PC from win7 Ulitmate to win-10 Pro went smoothly & without any probs.

Of course it took almost 8 to 9 hours of Net but all was ok. Activation is also done ok.

Thanks you all for your good wishes.

I'm very much an english speaker & I thought there was a tinge of sarcasm in your reply hence mentioned it. anyway lets get back to work.

Talking about my son's PC I've received the latest insider bulletin from Gabriel Aul of Microsoft HQ just yesterday, whereby I am hopeful that I'll be able to upgrade his PC from win7 Ultimate to WIn-10 Pro with little / no probs. Life is always a struggle in which sometimes we go thro easily & sometime with difficulty. That's a part of the game & should not crib about it. Will post a Final post after my son's PC is migrated to win-10 Pro in the next 2-3 days time.

Back