My motherboard isn't registering my graphics card

I recently built a new computer and when i went to turn it on for the first time the DVI output on my graphics card wasnt showing anything, so instead i just connected it to the DVI port on my motherboard and everything seemed to work fine (i assumed i needed to install the driver for it to work). I then proceeded and installed Windows 7 64-bit and then proceeded with the mothboard drivers. After that was done i attempted to install the graphics card drivers. The installer came up, but it could not detect my graphics card.

The fans on the card are spinning and the cords are connected properly, it just doesnt register on my windows 7 or for that matter in the BIOS.

My specs are as follows:
Thermaltake 775watt Toughpower XT Power Supply
ASUS Radeon HD6950 1GB
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
Patriot Gamer 16GB DDR3 1600GHz
ASUS P8Z86-M-Pro Motherboard
Antec 920 Watercooler Kit

Please help :)

The graphics card should show a display without installing drivers. Initially it should work in a basic mode with the Windows generic graphic drivers.

Did you connect the external power connectors to the graphics card?

Um I'd go into the motherboard BIOS and make sure the on-board video was turned off and then see if the HD6950 comes to life. I'd at least make sure that the PCI-E slot you have the video card in was primary, because you probably have an issue with the motherboard.

P8Z68-V PRO or P8Z68-M PRO?

The chip-set and CPU combination you have was made for on-board video. I'm thinking the motherboard may have assumed you want the on-board video as primary.

I'd also try both PCI-E slots and see if the card works in either.

I recently built a new computer and when i went to turn it on for the first time the DVI output on my graphics card wasnt showing anything, so instead i just connected it to the DVI port on my motherboard and everything seemed to work fine (i assumed i needed to install the driver for it to work). I then proceeded and installed Windows 7 64-bit and then proceeded with the mothboard drivers. After that was done i attempted to install the graphics card drivers. The installer came up, but it could not detect my graphics card.

The fans on the card are spinning and the cords are connected properly, it just doesnt register on my windows 7 or for that matter in the BIOS.

My specs are as follows:
Thermaltake 775watt Toughpower XT Power Supply
ASUS Radeon HD6950 1GB
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz
Patriot Gamer 16GB DDR3 1600GHz
ASUS P8Z86-M-Pro Motherboard
Antec 920 Watercooler Kit

Please help :)

Download drivers for 6xxx series from AMD.com and install them instead of the drivers on the CD. A windows update might do the trick as well.

Back