TechSpot

My nephew put a penny in my Laptop DVD Rom Drive + Rare/Special PC Cards + S Slot?

By maniac_lonestar
Aug 15, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well my Nephew put a penny in it and it isnt recognized anymore, but I hate using USB DVD Rom Drives, so I was hoping that I can fix this. So I'll start out with...

1. I am wondering if you fellas can help me:

A. make sure my DVD Rom might still work.
    B. make the Laptop Recognize this DVD Rom Drive
    C. find a compatible Laptop Drive that FIT's in this Laptop of >>>Mines<<<
    D. Fix my DVD Drive and give suggestions

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2. I have two PCMIA slots on this laptop, I think, and well:

A. Even though I tried lookin for em, are there any PC Cards that are special like Antivirus, Storage, or like Cooling System etc.
    B. Are there any Cards that do something else besides: Sound Quality, Graphics, Networking?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    3. I notice on my laptop there is a Slot labeled with an S. It looks like a slot for mouse/keyboard, but it doesn't fit and this laptop only supports USB Mouse and Keyboard.

2. i_am_a_newbie

i_am_a_newbie TS Rookie Posts: 278

The "S" might possibly be S-Video out; as they look similar to the PS/2 ports mice and keyboards use.

3. maniac_lonestar

maniac_lonestar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 129

And what can I use it for? Inputting my Laptop Monitor to a bigger one?

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,443   +220

S-Video out would be for sending output to a TV with a corresponding S-Video in. It might not be a direct connection, however. The "S-Video" connection on the laptop is probably not a true S-Video but would need an adaptor which will separate the video and sound output. The "S-Video" on the laptop will have a different number of pins (because of the sound signal) than a real S-Video.

5. Rottenweiler

Rottenweiler TS Rookie Posts: 16

What type of machine is it?
    What model?
    The older Dell laptops have an S port which is indeed S-video out. You can plug a standard S-video cable into it, it will bring only the video signal to a Television as an output (ie like a big monitor).
    Or you can use the cable that comes with them. They usually come with an adapter that splits the S-video signal and the audio signals. For example Dell P/N 070TVD. (Look for examples on EBay)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.