My network places start an office 2000 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhite

For some crazy reason when I go to Start / My network places to access my other computer a Microsoft office 2000 Small Business installation routine starts and won't quit. I have office 2000 pro with just word installed currently but not the small business edition. When I try to exit out of the install it just restarts. The only things I've done lately is update zone alarm, install the latest version of Firefox and Spybot search and destroy. I don't use the network only occasionally to transfer photos around so the exact time it started is unknown to me. Any ideas how to stop this installation routine?

Thanks

Look in your Start/Programs/Startup folder. In there you will probably find a Start-entry for some MS Office function. Depending on version, it is starting something like OSA9.exe or OSA10.exe. Delete that from the startup folder. All it does is preload some part of Office, unnecessarily wasting resources.
You could also make the PC that bit faster by going to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and Stop, then DISable Indexing Service (also Office related).

With those out of the way, see if the problem still persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back