My new computer wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffdogg

Hello everybody reading this thread,
First of all i would like to thank you for taking the time to read this. I just got done building my new computer the specs are as follows.

motherboard- intel d915gevl
processor- intel pentium 4 530j 3.0ghz
memory-1 gig ddr2 533 ram
os- windows xp (if i can ever get the computer started lol)
hard drive- 80 gig maxtor diamondmax 10 sata drive
case- kingwin mutant x gaming case with a 420 watt psu
(i dont really know what other info you need)

well here it is in a nut shell, i've built computers before, never really went for the gaming case thing, i usually just stick to the average case but i wanted to do something different this time, everything is hooked up ,the little green led is lit where you hook the psu into the motherboard, i press power, nothing happens, i hold it in for 4 seconds then let go it makes a kind of hissing noise, it only lasts for a second not even. i unhooked everything and hooked it back up numerous times its still the same thing, there is one weird thing i have noticed for my fp header on the mother board i have the usual pwr sw, hdd led, reset sw, but instead of our usual pwr led, they turned it into a molex connector. i dont know if that is the problem, i've trouble shooted my **** off lol, i've tried to get a hold of kingwin because when i recieved the case there was no book paper work or nothing just a reciept. well i have e-mailed them so many times, the first time i waited a week then i e-mailed them again cause i have not heard nothing, they said they are in the middle of inventory,well it has been weeks since then, thats customer service for ya :(
i'm currently trying to get a hold of intel to see if there is any suggestions that they can give me, but i doubt i will hear from them as well. so i am asking you wonderful people of the tech spot community for a little assistence :angel: hope to hear from you soon

Hi jeffdogg, sorry to hear you are having problems, I hate it when that happens. The first thing I would suspect, is the power supply. If you have an extra power supply, try that. Let us know how it goes.

Edit: jeffdogg, disconnect that power led wire, you don't really need it for now. I hope you are not talking about the square four-connector cable from the power supply? If it is, that you will need, if the MOBO is a P4 ATX MOBO.

yes it is a P4 mobo, could it really be the power supply its brand new, no i am not talkin bout that square connector, but right next to it is an alt. power socket thing that you can plug a molex connector into it, should i have that plugged in to?

It depends. According to the mobo manual, if you are using a 24 pin power supply connector and the square 12V connector, it shouldn't be necessary. You only need the mobo's molex connector if you using a 20 pin power supply connector to the 24 pin mobo connector (again, plus the square connector).

It's main purpose is to supply additional power required by high wattage PCI-E graphics cards but is supposedly not needed if you have the 24 pin and square connector hooked up. That said, it appears that it wouldn't hurt if you connected it.

Yes, it is possible that you can have a bad brand new power supply. No, you don't need that alt power connected. Try removing everything but the power supply, MOBO, CPU, video card/monitor, and 1 stick of known good RAM. If you don't get the POST beep, then I would suspect the power supply.

i have a 20 pin connector, also i am not gonna get a graphics card right away i am gonna use 128mb integrated video (that is if i ever get my pc to turn on lol),
also just_a_nobody i tried a different power supply, it was lesser wattage a 240, it did the same thing as the other one.

still nothing guys, the green led where i plug the 20 pin connector on the mobo still comes on, but thats it, no beep nothing :( , is it really the power supply?

Power Supply Issue

I thought the same thing with my motherboard last month. Found out it was the board not the power supply that was the problem. Power supply I have is working fine now that I have a new Motherboard.

yeah i just took the new power supply and put it on this pc i am on now and it worked like it should i guess it is my mobo, thank you for all of your suggestions guys once again i am forever in your debt, guess i will see you when the next problem occurs :monkey:

And remember "The river tells no lies, even though standing along the shore the dishonest man still hears them" with those last words of wisdom i bid everyone on the tech spot community a great day and thank you once again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back