My new P4 2.66 is overheating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhananjay

i've installed a new box-packed Intel P4 2.66 GHz. on an Intel 915 GAV MBrd.

The average processor temperature remains at 55 degree Centigrade!
while installing the heatsink-fan assembly, despite a lot of manouvering i was unable to get the fan screws to 'click' into the MBrd as the instruction booklet'd specified - though the fan appears to be firmly in place and does not move...on recent examination it was also observed that the thermal grease layer had somewhat depleted! what's going on? please help.

Get someone who put your cooler in place as it should, or try it yourself, very carefully. The heatsink must have perfect contact on the entire surface of your CPU to accomplish its job.

Take care and good luck!

hey thanks!

but what should i do about the grease? should i reapply it? then should i be getting it from any particular manufacturer?

Remove the existing grease carefully and reapply it. You can try ArcticSilver, it's pretty good.

dhananjay said:
i've installed a new box-packed Intel P4 2.66 GHz. on an Intel 915 GAV MBrd.

The average processor temperature remains at 55 degree Centigrade!
That doesn't sound like overheating to me. Over 90C would.

It may not be overheating, but it's above normal, you should agree with that.

And if the man says it didn't "click", then we must suppose he is right and the heatsink it's not right in the place where it should be.

We'll see pretty soon where was the problem, if any.

thanks guys..
i've been looking hard for Arctic Silver - nowhere to be found in this blighted place that i live in... i got a Honeywell PCM45f TIM though.... haven't installed it yet.... i need your take on it...
and what should i take off the previous grease layer with? isopropyl alcohol seems to be the cleaner/solvent of popular choice? any alternatives?
and as for the 'clicking' problem....there's something i'm not doing right...if i press too hard i'd only squash the TIM again....

i hate the intel clicking heatsinks too...just prop the board up sideways and push hard...don't be afraid to break the board..cuz i built motherboards back in grad school...their very sturdy despite the bending...any thermal paste will work..the 2.66 Ghz intels don't heat up so much when the heatsink is tightly connected.

thanks everybody

the temp on boot up is ~48 C
idle ~54 C
full load(Turbo C+Winamp(!)) ~60 C

is the Honeywell PCM45F good enough?
Googled it but didnt find any reviews...

besides i've got two more fans on the chassis... one blowing in and the other blowing out...is that good or should i re-arrange them?

and thanks again!
i havent been on any forum before and all i can say now is forumming rocks!

Those are pretty hot. You might want to consider getting aftermarket cpu fan. Your thermal gel should be fine, it is used by Thermaltake for some of their cpu fan and I doubt they will use crap gels, just not the really good ones (like ArcticSilver). You said you got two MORE fans? As long as you have at least one exhaust you're fine, but if you have a lot of intakes, make sure you have a large exhaust (120mm?) or even 2 small ones. Also (even though this might not do much) but try to organize the inside of your PC by removing unecessary cables (if possible) or try to move them to one corner so that the air current can move smoothly.

i reapplied the thermal paste. the temps went down to 39C on boot up and 50C on full load .. for a day.... now they are back to their old 49C on boot up and 55 on load.

i have also now(sheepish grin) noticed that the fan speed is a max 1120 RPM at 55C...

there lies the problem doesnt it?

I'd sooner it be quieter, and reasonably (but no overly) warm, than have the fan going nuts to keep the thing cool.

Try getting a bigger fan!

A note on fan placement:
Always place your exhaust fans as high as possible in your case as hot air rises upward, and place your intake fans in the bottom of your case. With ordinary air cooling on your cpu a fanduct could be good to get the air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back