My opinion of the site and forums as a newcomer

Federelli

I have been visiting the site since the begginings of 2000 and i fell in love with it inmediatelly, i couldn't believe how usefull the information on this site was and how much i've learned from it :)
It has the best reviews and tweaks and the best of all is, they really work :)
I had never entered the forums but today i just felt like meeting a whole new community, i was told about this forums on the 3dfx-underground forums, as it also uses the same system :)
Thank you for all the help you've gave me and friends of mine, and as you can see (this goes to uncleel) i have already moderated my language, so you no longer have to worry about it

Thank you federelli, we take pride in keeping a good clean site. We are glad that you like our Tweaks and Reviews. Everyone around here is very easy to get along with, as long as you don't do stupid things and get on someones bad side. Glad to hear that you have moderated your language on your own, make the mods job a little easier:)

Happy posting!

Useful, helpful, informative.
Thats how we like to keep it. The 3ds staff do a great job of posting the latest news and reviews. The moderators do their best to keep the posts from becoming flame wars, slagging matches or "Intel Sucks, AMD Rocks" type posts from becoming the main content of the site. We don't object to "What are everyones opinions of the latest Intel and AMD CPUS?", as this usually results in a constructive debate about the pros and cons of both, with a lot of input from members who have used both Intel and AMD products recently. I guess 3ds forums is sort of like:

Knowledgebase + community = 3dsforums

As you can also see we have a general section for chit chat about any old subject which adds to the community feeling we promote on top of the learning and knowledge sharing. We just don't want 3dsforums to become what happens to a lot of forums, populated by useless dudespeak rubbish posts :D

Hopefully all our new members will share this view ;)

Yeah, I never see any flame wars or any real negative posts towards other users. 3DS users are alot more mature that most other message boards out there. There is always one good board for every type of interest. For computers I have found 3DS to be one of the best. There are alot of good ones out there but how many times can you really get into the Nvidia is better than Ati argument or the Intel and AMD argument.

This is pretty much the main reason why I dedicate so much time and effort here. I feel that it is well worth it and that it is appreciated.

hmm....it is almost too perfect...there is nothing better then a good flame war or someone showing their pain and suffering thru some old fashion swearing....maybe I have just been desensitized to rudeness and vulgarity. Eitherway these forums seem like they lack any personality at all...they are not even that busy. Nothing like the [H]ardOCP forums or even the icrontic forums....=/

Originally posted by eof
hmm....it is almost too perfect...there is nothing better then a good flame war or someone showing their pain and suffering thru some old fashion swearing....maybe I have just been desensitized to rudeness and vulgarity. Eitherway these forums seem like they lack any personality at all...they are not even that busy. Nothing like the [H]ardOCP forums or even the icrontic forums....=/

I disagree that the forums do not have any personality. And if you feel that way, why come here??

Surely swearing and profanity is not the only way you can express yourself and your personality? Do you suffer from some emmotional disorder or communication difficulties? I express myself and my personality through, I like to think, intelligent and witty conversation, through good natured and gentlemanly conversation.... What about you???

Originally posted by Phantasm66

I disagree that the forums do not have any personality. And if you feel that way, why come here??

Surely swearing and profanity is not the only way you can express yourself and your personality? Do you suffer from some emmotional disorder or communication difficulties? I express myself and my personality through, I like to think, intelligent and witty conversation, through good natured and gentlemanly conversation.... What about you???

I came here cause I like forums and the contest seemed kinda cool....Where in my previous post did I say swearing and profanity is the only way to express yourself...I am just pointing out that it is a way to express yourself and it is a effective way sometimes.

haha....Do I suffer from some emmotional disorder or communication difficulties?...hahah....That is a prime example of why swearing should be allowed it saves people like you from coming up with intelligent ways to insult people. No I don't suffer from anything emotional or physical. I am perfectly heathy thank you for your concern,you are very good natured and gentlemanly.

The way I look at it, you could pick a forum name out of a hat and have a very good chance at drawing one that contains plenty of profanity and flaming. You (eof) say that you think that you're desensitized to vulgarity and rudeness... well, I'd imagine that anybody who has been on the internet long enough is. :D It's the nature of the beast.

That said, a forum like this is in the minority. It's not often that you come across a message board where most of the members talk and help each other out in a friendly manner. Sure, the contest is great, but I wouldn't have joined up if it was just another run of the mill, immature forum. Hopefully I can help a few people out, get some help, and maybe even make a few new acquaintances.

I do agree with you about it not being too busy around here, but hey, that's what we're here for right? To get the ball rollin' a little faster. ;)

Originally posted by Analog
That said, a forum like this is in the minority. It's not often that you come across a message board where most of the members talk and help each other out in a friendly manner. Sure, the contest is great, but I wouldn't have joined up if it was just another run of the mill, immature forum. Hopefully I can help a few people out, get some help, and maybe even make a few new acquaintances.

I agree... when I first joined 3DS, I knew I had found something special. I'd hate to have that die away, and profanity, flame matches, talking about sex, drugs and rock and roll is the best way to do that.

If you wanna talk like that, feel free to join the 3DS IRC channel.

I like a good swear and a shout as much as the next man, just not here.....

(TOS is strictly enforced)

If you were an Advertiser:
1.) Would you spend tons money on a site that is less than professional?
2.) Would you be proud to show your supervisor that you contracted for an ad on a forum that cuzz's & flames, w/ n00bie d00dz saying your product sucks?

* Be mindful of our International Membership; use proper English & Grammar. Respect all races, creeds, colors, & genders.
* Women & Children frequent the boards, not to mention Julio's (the owner & administrator) girlfriend.
* Watch your language! (TOS is strictly enforced)

we need an all out crazy no rules room man..
When I ran a BBS on my c64c (argg) I had one of these bad boys and called it the Danger Zone.. There were absolutly NO RULES... Freedom of speech baby, all the way..

Originally posted by 3DS Crazyace
we need an all out crazy no rules room man..
When I ran a BBS on my c64c (argg) I had one of these bad boys and called it the Danger Zone.. There were absolutly NO RULES... Freedom of speech baby, all the way..

I have had the same thought. But perhaps that would have to be password protected and subject to age verification???

Originally posted by eof
Eitherway these forums seem like they lack any personality at all...they are not even that busy. Nothing like the [H]ardOCP forums or even the icrontic forums....=/
You registered yesterday. 3/5/2002 you posted this on the 3/6/2002. How can you base any personality on that?
If you don't like it here we aren't keeping you here, you are free to walk away.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

Why?

Because when lil' johnnies mom reads the objectional material he is viewing, the emails, letter writing, phone calls, & thread of lawsuit begin. Then there are public protest about moral decency & the corruption of todays youth. Bad publicity is the end result.

There's enough sites that do, 3DS doesn't. Besides aren't you interested in technology more than uncensored speech?

Eitherway these forums seem like they lack any personality at all...they are not even that busy. Nothing like the [H]ardOCP forums or even the icrontic forums....=/
if you stick around long enough, you will get to learn more about each member.
and maybe this is probably the opposite preference as any one else's, but i like it nice and quiet.

Mictlantecuhtli's why

Originally posted by uncleel

Because when lil' johnnies mom reads the objectional material he is viewing, the emails, letter writing, phone calls, & thread of lawsuit begin. Then there are public protest about moral decency & the corruption of todays youth. Bad publicity is the end result.

There's enough sites that do, 3DS doesn't. Besides aren't you interested in technology more than uncensored speech?

I think he meant why do we need a crazy no rules room at all.
Not why do we need it instead of just allowing unruled behaviour throughout the forums ;)

I like the idea that IRC should be 'with less rules'.

Because IRC is real time, some subject can be disscussed more easily (sex, drugs and rock and roll). We should also try to moderate the channel, but not that strict as the forum (specially now things are running slow and we don't have watch out who is on the channel and who not).

About bad language on the forum: there is more than enought room on the net to do that so I am not really in favour of a 'no rule section'. Rules are needed to keep this thing controllable. We don't wan't chaos. He who doesn't agree: GO. But if you take time to check out and learn to know our community, you will maybe notice it's nice to be gentleman and get respect because you deserve it, not because they are afraid of you. Earning respect is not possible if you don't give respect. I do swear to, but I accept some people don't like it or that some people can't handle it, so I don't in an enviroment where I don't know if it's tolerable or not.

Btw, Unc several times states 'there are women and children visiting these fori'. Because men are allowed to be rude? :p :D (I do accept we, men, can handle it better and are better at it than they, women and children :p)

Re: Mictlantecuhtli's why

Originally posted by Arris
I think he meant why do we need a crazy no rules room at all.
Not why do we need it instead of just allowing unruled behaviour throughout the forums ;)
I think I meant that, too. I was asking why would this site need that kind of a forum.

Originally posted by ToRN
(I do accept we, men, can handle it better and are better at it than they, women and children :p)
i usually view it as "men are more tolerable to these things"

why not.

there is nothing wrong with expressing your honest opinions. thats the problem with the computer land as we know it, everyone is full of baloney kinda. just like when u read reviews, you know reviewers get the stuff for free usually, so they are usually going to give it a good score (not all the time, some reviewers are honest like myself hahha)... and, forums are for expressing your honest opinion. granted, people can be offended by your opinions, but that doesnt mean you should not be able to express them.

all im saying is somtimes things need to be said that are not appropriate for the general public (age wise also). that doesnt mean that your opinion doesnt count.

as you can see, i really support my right of freedom of speech.

It doesn't!

If your intention is to build a professional website & to attract reliable advertisers, then your forum should be as professional appearing as your homepage.

Why should 3DS lower it's standards to imitate a slackercentral.com, when they all should be emuating 3DS?

Judging by the language of many of our newcomers here for the contest, many other forums have accepted a lazie faire attitude.

Free Speech as defined by the U.S. CONSTITUTION:
[FONT=arial]"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech , or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."[/FONT]

Considering from the time of the Revolutionary War all the lives that have been lost in defense of this freedom, it is blaspheme to infer that "freedom of speech" means some n00bie d00d has the right to say "XXX" on a public forum.

Originally posted by 3DS Crazyace
why not.
as you can see, i really support my right of freedom of speech.
i think the point that people are missing is that, you're free to express your opinions honestly about almost anything, but in a polite, logical and mature way.

ie.
if you don't like nvidia, say:
"i don't like nvidia cause blah blah blah"
not:
"those nv*****s are a pain in the ***. they're a pile **** who can't even **** blah blah blah..."

i used "almost" because we want this place to be peaceful and not turn into a hatred extremist site...
ie.
******** Thais! :evil:
**** the Americans! :evil:
Islam ****! :evil:
and so on...

Back