My PC build just before the Holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: Even though I know some lingo, I am completely computer illiterate.

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key.

I set out to build a new computer before and during the holiday season. My brother is the one that knows how to do anything, or install components on a computer. The night he put the computer together, he only had time to put it together, but not check to see if it ran properly. I tried it as a hopeful delight after getting off where I work, to see if it was ready for me to start installing mother board disks, and installing windows and other software, until I got the above message.

I went into setup (I believe that is F2) to take a look at the BIOS. Everyone of the BIOS said, NOT DETECTED. Not the CDROM, not the HDD. The only thing that is correct at this point is the Floppy Drive not being detected, as I didn't use one for this build.

After monkeying around with it, my brother came to a primary conclusion that my first HDD(Western Digital 80g), was no good. So he spared me his HDD, loaded with Windows XP. Finally it went to Windows' desktop, for about 10 minutes. And then, the Boot message came back again.

My PC:
CPU: Pentium 4 3.0gig 800 FB
Motherboard: Asus 1333 FB LGA 775
HDD: Western Digital 80g HDD (Originally purchased)
Memory: Two Corsair 1gig sticks of DDR2 ram

I understand, that my being computer illiterate, I expect to be asked questions to help my question. I'll do my best to help you help me.

I know one of you will suggest getting it diagnosed. I just haven't had the time and money for that. If nobodies suggestions help me, I thank you anyway in advance, and will just have to wait till, I can take it in...yuck.

You may need to go back into the BIOS (F2) and change the boot order. Maybe it is trying to boot from a different device. Unfortunately all BIOS's have defferent options and I'm not sure which specific one you would be using.

Also, most modern motherboards give you the option to select a boot-device at startup. This is usually done by pressing F12 instead of F2 at boot-up. You should then get a list of HDD's and CD-Drives. Try selecting each one-by-one as then you will know what to set as the first boot-device in the BIOS.

Your biggest mistake was installing a hard dive with WXP installed for a different computer. It will never work.

Go back to the original setup, then go back to the manual and check your steps.

The hard drive is probably good. You have made a minor error. You will find it.

Pretty soon you will be a tech.

you cannot use XP loaded for one system on another.

1. it's illegal
2. it won't work.

So now, i think that's what happened. That windows shut down the borrowed HDD.

Correction: I have to hit delete to enter setup, not F2.

Update:
AMIBIOS(C) American Megatrends, Inc.
ASUS P5GC-MX ACPI BIOS Revision 0205
CPU : Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Speed : 3.00GHz

Press DEL to run Setup
Press F8 for BIOS POPUP
PC2-5300 Dual Channel Interleaved
Checking NVRAM..
Initializing UB Controllers.. done.
2040MB OK
USB Device(s) : 1 mouse
Auto-detiecting USB Mass torage Devices..
00 USB mass storage devices found and configured.

Primary Master Drive- ATAPI Incompatible
Press F1 to Resume
This is what my computer says after just power on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back