My PC doesn't shut down and something always uses 50% of the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, for the past few days my PC has not shut down normally. The screen freezes on the 'Windows is shutting down' page and I have to press down the power button eventually. Also, something ('System') always uses up about 50% of my CPU. I've scanned the PC with many anti-virus and anti-spyware softwares (in safe mode as well) but found nothing. One of them finally caught a 'cybervizion keylogger' but was unable to remove it.

I've attached a HijackThis log below. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• hijackthislog.txt
    8 KB · Views: 7
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can`t see anything in your HJT log, that would cause you shutdown problem.

However, you should fix the entries below.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: HP View - {B2847E28-5D7D-4DEB-8B67-05D28BCF79F5} - c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpdtlk02.dll

O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration Class) - http://supportcenter.rr.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {88D8E8B7-A33B-4417-A385-8373484D43ED} (InstallHelper Class) - file://C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ThereInstallHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {8B486EF6-6B2A-4A1E-BB0D-236CB2DBB8D2} (There Voice Trainer) - file://c:\Program Files\There\ThereClient\ThereVoiceTrainer.dll
O16 - DPF: {AAF421E6-7914-430A-9981-72B31AFF3BF4} (There Launcher) - file://c:\Program Files\There\ThereClient\ThereLauncher.dll

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Take a look at this article on Shutdown issues.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Sorry to bump this thread up but both of the issues are back after about a week of peace and they seem to be related. If it's because of a malware from a website I often visit I wish I could figure out which one. Below is a fresh HT log. Please help if possible. Thank you.

Attachments

• hijackthislogApril21.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 6
Give us a detailed list of every web site you visit,and we will tell you what to avoid.:)
But seriously,
try DISCONNECTING from the net,then going into the msconfig startup tab,and unchecking
EVERYTHING,then restart, and see if it still hangs at shutdown.

Peddant said:
Give us a detailed list of every web site you visit,and we will tell you what to avoid.:)

I wish there was a software that did that.

But seriously,
try DISCONNECTING from the net,then going into the msconfig startup tab,and unchecking
EVERYTHING,then restart, and see if it still hangs at shutdown.

Thanks. I've tried that and it still hangs, right where it's supposed to shut down my mouse freezes at the last seconds and stays that way for hours 'till I press the power button.

howard_hopkinso said:
Your HJT log is clean.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I guess now the best move would be to try a non-destructive recovery to get rid of the programs that didn't come with the pc and if things remain the same a total re-format?

Attachments

• Task Manager.gif
    Task Manager.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 5
Sometimes just the simple things make a big difference. Have you run disk clean and done a defrag lately? Uninstall any new hardware or software you might have added lately. Most of the Win shut down probs I've read in the past deal with driver conflicts where one thing is waiting for another to finish and they are both waiting for each other to finish. So this never happens..doh. That's why I'm suggesting to uninstall anything relatively new, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back