My PC freezes regularly, when listening to music, playing games or doing too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavanaAffair

Hey,
Since last weekend when I defragged my computer, it seems to completely freeze up regularly whether it’s just by using too many programs, listening to music in WMP or playing a game like 'Guild Wars'. My computer has been perfect for about a year now and hasn’t had any problems running any programs or games.

The computer completely freezes and you cannot move the mouse, I have to switch it off via the front button and let it do the scan disk. Sometimes it happens a few times an hour. I’ve done a virus check with Norton and used ad-aware and they have found nothing.

Spec:
Mirosoft Windows XP - Home
Proccessor : Mobile AMD Athlon 1800+
RAM : 512MB
Graphics Card : NVidia Geforce FX5200 (256MB)
HDD: 80GB

The games seem to run smoothly and this has never happened before its just lately.

Thanks for any help,

Just wondering how much free space is left on that harddisk. You need a minimum of 15%, if there is less space, the defrag probably got 'stuck' halfway in a file.
If needed, make more space by deleting your Temporary internet files, emptying the Temp directory, uninstalling no-longer-used programs etc. Then run another defrag, AFTER chkdsk /f

Actually there is only 27% free space and theres a picture of the analysis from the defrag attached, its pretty red but defragging it doesnt solve it. There is also a file which is 800MB which will not be moved.

Attachments

• Defrag.jpg
    Defrag.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 6
Open the PC and check that all fans (CPU/PSU/graphics card/mobo/chassis) are working properly and that they are not full of dust.
You may have an overheating problem.
The 800MB file is probably pagefile.sys and is perfectly legal and needed.

Okay I think that solved it. I deleted unused games and programs and got 30% free space and then used that defraggmenter you advised. Ive not crashed in ages.

Thanks all!

Darn, its been a day or two and its started crashing again. I'm going to check all the fans like realblackstuff said, i ran a memory test for my RAM and there wern't any problems.

Do you think that it could be the HDD if it still crashes after i've checked the fans?

Is it SMART enabled? If not it is probably not very new. A new disc would not cost an arm & a leg and would be need at some time in the future.

Cool, I'll try it out but last night I took the side of and cleaned the fans out, where there was alot load of dust. Im not sure if it could have been the ventillation as the tower is in a fairly enclosed space, I had to drill a hole in the back of the desk for the fan at the back. When I pulled the tower out and took the side off the computer didnt crash, even if i tried, so unless it crashes again I think it might be okay now.

Thanks for your help everyone,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back